Switching phones between carriers

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Carl Brutananadilewski, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Carl Brutananadilewski

Carl Brutananadilewski Active Member

I know it is possible to swap sim cards, but I have no idea how to go about it. Right now I've got an LG VX6100 and really REALLY want to get a Motorola i300 or the new i325, but those are Nextel phones and aren't even listed on Motorola's site. My question is, is swapping a sim card in these phones any different or even possible?

2. GearHead

GearHead Active Member

Well your problem lies in the fact that you are running on Verizon right now...CDMA style networks don't use SIM cards, they use an ESN number.

Second problem is that those Nextel phones run on the iDen network too...VZW won't let you activate them on their network. Sprint probably will since they are affiliated, but you basically would have to switch to Sprint, which is a bad plan in and of itself.

3. unwed_transient

unwed_transient Internationally Known and Locally Detested

iden and sprint cdma networks are still separate. you'd still have to activate your i series phone with nextel.

if you're swapping sms to keep your number the same, nextel can port your number so you can keep it.

4. Carl Brutananadilewski

Carl Brutananadilewski Active Member

I am on US Cellular now, but I think that is a CDMA network anyway.

Oh well, guess I don't get an i-series phone :hs: because there is no way I will switch to Sprint/Nextel.