Switching parents to Macs

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by rasactive, Dec 24, 2005.

1. rasactive

rasactive New Member

Well, the computer my parents are using is around 2 1/2 years old now, and Windows is starting to lock up at random times. Knoppix is having no problems whatsoever, and memtest has found no memory errors, so I think it's a Windows software/driver issue. I've reinstalled all the drivers and nothing seems to get rid of the problem, and since Linux would probably be impossible for them to maintain, I'm thinking it's time to tell them to buy a new computer.

My initial thought is that Apple might be the best option. Their prices have gotten reasonable recently (especially for the Mac Mini), and they seem to be user-friendly and relatively maintenance-free. I'm on the other coast, and I'm really bad at over-the-phone troubleshooting, so simplicity would be important.

I'm just wondering if anybody had done this or something like this and had any ideas/suggestions.

2. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I am switching my mom to a Mac and OS X too, next PC she gets.

For one, there will be SO many fewer problems with spyware, viruses, etc. that old people seem to get constantly from downloading horrible attachments with the jokes they send each other.

But basically, they need a few simple things out of a computer, and OS X presents those capabilites to the user in a much simpler way than does windows. Yes, there will be a short adjustment period. But it WILL be short. Thats because OS X is easy to use.

Switch em. You won't regret it.

3. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

:werd:

Another benefit is that you can SSH in and fix some things remotely, so you don't have to do as much over-the-phone troubleshooting (you can log in and scope things out yourself).

4. samm

samm Next in Line

Do it, your parents won't have to worry about spyware or virus problems.