Switching Job In Bad Economy

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Dio Seijuro, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Dio Seijuro

Dio Seijuro New Member

I was wondering what the general opinions are about switching company for basically the same position but better pay (and better company overall), in the current bad economy.

Ideally I want to start looking early spring. And this will be one of those around 5 year experience, web software developer positions. Where basically simply by switching company I'll get a 15~20% raise for the same position.

The concern is that under such bad economy, a company might do badly and just lay off all new hires. But not sure how serious of a risk it is compare to say a year ago. How I should approach this.

I go on monsters and quick search and there's a whole bunch of positions available. :dunno:

2. RiSk

RiSk New Member

Dont go work for a company that is a startup thats for sure, id go to look for some one that has some equity in the market.

3. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

i'd look, but be very cautious. you do not want to screw up your current job while looking for another. when you find a job, do not screw over your current company. give no less than 2 weeks notice. be straight with them and don't play games. it does not matter how much person A pissed you off or manager B sucked at their job. when you give your notice, be professional and explain it is about growth potential. that way, if anything bad does happen at your new job, you leave it with the best chance that the old company will bring you back. it isn't something you'll want to have to do, but it is nice to know that you aren't going to be completely screwed.

on top of that, my recommendation to anyone in the technical field is not to take any job for money this early in your career. you should make sure to get a pay increase, but only take a job if it'll further your experience and knowledge. that extra few % may seem great now, but later on having good experience will pay back exponentially. so, if you are still learning where you are, it might be a good idea to stick it out a bit longer to see how things play out before making the leap. if, on the other hand, you're kind of at a dead end where you are, then a move is a good idea.

4. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

what sector is the company in. not all sectors, and not all companies are that negatively affected by the economy.

5. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

i don't think he has any company in mind. it sounds like he's at a stable job, but is afraid to look at new companies without having some reassurance that he'll be safe at the new job.

6. Dio Seijuro

Dio Seijuro New Member

That's correct I have no specific new company in mind. My current job is web development with java. It's one of those combine JSP/struts with core Java and any of a variety of databases type of job. My team does custom development so I am always building stuff based on outside customer's specification. The rest of the company does not do java and does not do custom development...they got this flagship .net CMS product that they push to customers. I have no idea what the .net developers even do, and I see quite a few quiting recently. I don't see much advancement staying here that's why I am considering getting a new job.

I am pretty confident about being able to do the job. Like I said I am concerned about if the new company doesn't do well due to bad economy they'll just lay off a bunch of new hires regardless.