Switched oil brands

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by saabguy, Sep 5, 2008.

1. saabguy

saabguy Active Member

I've been using Mobil One synthetic for a long time, but my mechanic just did my 90k service and said he's recently switched to Elf brand synthetic. Found a local place that sells it (re-branded & packaged as "Total" now, keeping the "Elf" brand in europe), so bought it and just did a change. anyone else use it?

Oh yeah, i was :noes: because the big jug of it and it was 5 Liters (used to putting in 4Q of M1) so i had to go to the owners manual and see what was suggested (4L) :run:

2003 saab 9-5 aero

2. Diesel Fumes

Diesel Fumes Guest

ive used it before in high performance severe contions. But its not going to be above and beyond what Mobil1 offers for protection in every day driving.

How much are you paying for it?

3. saabguy

saabguy Active Member

i think it was ~$45 for the 5L jug. What's M1 run now, $7/Q? my manual recommended 4.2Q/5L, too, which I was usually just putting in 4Q. maybe ~$5 more per oil change difference. cold weather up here in the winter, which i think M1 is still fine for, but if the Elf is a little better, i don't mind paying the little difference :dunno:

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Mobil 1 changed its formulation after Hurricane Katrina wiped out most of the oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico, because that caused the natural gas that they used as a raw material to become too expensive. Now M1 is just filtered and "hydrocracked" natural oil, which means it's just multiple natural oil molecules stuck together at the ends. That makes it better than natural oil, but it's not as good as Group 4 full synthetics manufactured from methane; Group 4 synthetic oil molecules look more like Koosh balls, which makes them almost impossible to crush.

I use AMSoil synth in my 1.8t engine. It holds up to wear and tear far better than M1 did. For both of them, right after an oil change my hot-idle oil pressure is around 25psi, but after 5000 miles the AMSoil drops to 15psi whereas the M1 dropped to 7psi -- and that's actually at 4000 miles, I didn't feel safe taking it to 5000.

- - -

EDIT: Another Group 4 synthetic I've used is Lubro Moly, made my Voll-Synthese in Germany. It has tiny flakes of molybdenum di-sulphide suspended in it (the stuff that makes CV joint grease dark gray instead of white), which I wouldn't use in my turbo engine, but it's worked wonders in the old Mitsu V6 in my dad's old minivan. That engine had hellish valve noise for 150000 miles, but one oil change with Lubro Moly shut it right up. (It has a total of 285000 miles on it; we're quite proud.)

The MoS2 flakes act as a solid lubricant, protecting the insides of grooves and scratches from further damage and acting like (as they describe it) a deck of playing cards on a playground slide -- you slide over the cards instead of the metal, and you go a hell of a lot faster.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008