GUN Switchblades/auto knife

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 4W4K3, Aug 15, 2006.

1. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

I am wanting an Italian designed switchblade/auto. However I would REALLY like to keep it under $50USD. I've had great luck with my Buck knives, and all of them were under $50, so I'm hoping this is possible with switchblades.

What would you recommend? It will not see any extensive use/abuse, just an everyday carry blade like most of my Buck's.

So far I've stumbled on these 2 which i REALLY like, but question quality, since I have nothing to compare it to and no background.

http://www.skm.to/pages/skm/pager/p/itst_3_37.html

http://www.switchblades.it/bin/ab.cgi/pager/main/1...

Also worth mentioning, I want the blade to be less than 3", as I believe that is the limit for carrying around here.

Posted this at a knife forum and no one wants to help...hopefully better luck here.

2. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

Any auto knife you buy for $50 or under is going to be garbage and will probably break after a short time.

3. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Microtech ftw

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Giant Halo :eek4:
    [​IMG]

4. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Maybe I am confusing "auto" with "switchblade" or "lockpick"

Look at my links, I am looking at that style ITALIAN switchblade, nothing american made or german made. The pictures of the OTF auto's Clusive posted, not what I'm looking for.

[​IMG]

5. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

Now those are some nice stiletos

6. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

I'm well aware of what you are looking for, you aren't going to get anything worth a shit for under $50. The vast majority of the Italian models are cheap gunshow garbage, the ones that aren't can't be had for $50 or less.

7. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

So, any recommendations?

I went ahead and ordered a AKC 9" Stiletto. I hunted around on 2 switchblade forums and didn't hear anything bad about them. Total came to $62 though, and the blade is 4" long. Guess you gotta compromise unless you want to go custom, o well.

[​IMG]

Imported from Maniago, Italy. Tulipwood with brass bolsters. Hopefully it's reliable.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2006
  8. no7fish

no7fish New Member

He speaks true that most are garbage unless you spend a lot of money but some are better than others. Most of the knives of that style are goin to be cheap and more replica than function.

That said, I had one of the 9" ones from SKB (They were called AB Coltellerie or something at the time) and it was pretty good. It wasn't the best knife ever but it held up pretty well, flicked well, and was a pretty solid knife. I think you can expect pretty OK quality from SKB.

I also had a couple of their front openers and they were cool too. I mean, we aren't talking Microtech stuff here but def better than your typical novelty knife.

9. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

was also looking at Frank Beltram's classic series, very nice. but importing from italy is a big no-no, might never receive it if it gets stopped at customs.

10. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Ohhhh those microtechs look nice...if only I didn't live in illinois I might be able to own one.

11. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

http://www.amatecon.com/switchblade.html

Great site, if you're ever wondering. Texas is kinda weird though. I carried a knife with me to public school the last 4 years, as well as many of the student and staff body. Supposed to be completely illegal, no one cared. As long as you weren't threatening people, and didn't advertise you were carrying it...no biggie. You could walk down the halls and see the clips on peoples jeans, even our school police didn't care. So I feel OK carrying. I'll just keep it at home for school from now on.

12. 90free400e

90free400e New Member

http://nicnac.net/

automatic knives, pretty cool site, seems like decent prices

i might pick up one of the kalashnikov knives

13. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Blah. I'm trying to cancel my order now. Wonder if it's too late, hasn't even been 24 hours so I hope not.

Decided to look into a leverletto. Classic stilettos are good for stabbing and not much more, I was hoping fro more of a utility knife design. Will be closer to $100 now, but I got payed today so it's OK :p

14. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

Many bigger name knife makers like Benchmade and others won't sell you an auto if you aren't law enforcement or military. You can get around that though (eBay), but you'll never be able to send it in for warranty repair. :hs:

15. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

I got a pretty big list of state-side dealers for italian/german made auto's, gets rid of expensive shipping costs and dealing with customs.

[​IMG]
    What I'm looking at now. Basic leverlock design, much more "work" oriented.

I will be pissed if they don't cancel my order though. I won;t waste time/money sending it back, but it will just be for flicking around I suppose.

16. ElChupacabra

ElChupacabra we should have fucking shotguns

A switchblade is illegal under Texas law. It is a "prohibited weapon" which means you can't even have in on your own property. LE/EMS get away with it, but they are also illegal under federal law and the only exemption under federal law is for one-armed people.

17. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

In Texas, you can own them as long as you classify them as "antique/curio" and do not take them off your property. http://www.gunsforsale.com/switchblade.htm

But then again...do I really care? :dunno:

EDIT: Actually I'm getting alot of mixed responses hehe. The law is too vague, as a number of sources say they are 100% illegal no matter what. Others go by the collector/antique then OK interpretation. But my previous comment about caring still stands. I'm a sword/knife collector, and will continue my hobby in the privacy of my own home. If that's a problem, then I guess I'll have to hide all my blades from now on. But it's never been a problem before.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  18. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

Uhh, forgive me, but why in the hell do you want a blade like that for EDC? Make absolutely no sense to me...

19. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

like what? the bayonet style has proven to be good at stabbing and not much more, so i decided not to get that.

if you're looking at my most recent decision, the shape of the blade is a very common cutter/utility shape. most any EDC knife has that shape.

if you mean an auto in general, that's just personal preference. i have plenty of manual folders. they work great, some look great...but they all get pretty boring. the autos look good, and have more appeal to them IMO. plenty of people use autos for EDC.

20. no7fish

no7fish New Member

I used to carry when I was working at fast-food places. It is very convenient for opening boxes and stuff (which seems like a narrow thing but at a food place you are always unboxing stuff). It was great and I would do it again. I didn't make a habit of carrying the things on my person but they are more useful than you would think.

That was precisely why I bought the Paragon I had, it was the small one, about 6" open and perfect for daily use. If i didn't want to carry it around auto I would just take the spring out of it and use it as a standard (if not strangely opening) normal lock blade.

21. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

They make some that can be auto or manual, with the turn of a screw. I think it jsut disengages the spring/lock mechanism or something. The leverlocks seem to be good though, compared to a stiletto, they won't open up in your pocket, which is a problem with cheaper switchblades.

22. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

I was going to suggest the boker magnum autos, for $20-$30 they are actually really nice, never had a problem w/ the one i had, it was a tad big for what i needed so i sold it

23. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I thought Oregon was the only place that you were allowed to have auto knives without being Military/LEO :confused:

24. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Don't think so. But lots of places will sell you one if you've got the money, you are responsible for restrictions state/local, not the supplier. I know next to nowhere allows you to CARRY them, but alot of states allow possession if you're a knife collector.

25. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

i really don't understand why you can;t carry a swtich, if anything, being a switch limits the usability and the usefulness of the knife, it's kind of dumb

right there next to the idea that 18 yr olds can own high powered rifles and shotguns, but not a plinker pistol