Swirls on 2003 Maxima, Glacier Pearl...

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by spark plugs., Apr 11, 2007.

1. spark plugs.

spark plugs. beautiful. OT Supporter

i'll admit it. i commited sin and took my car to a car wash. now my paint is swirled. what should i use with my PC to get rid of them?

2. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

optimum polish....well how bad is it? the first time i used my PC i used the pinnacle twins with killer results. so either way.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Start with the least aggressive polish/pad combo and work up as needed.

4. LA02MAX

LA02MAX New Member

I just cleaned clayed/polished/waxed my '02 Glacier Pearl max today :big grin: I just used mothers claybar with klasse AIO (applied with my PC using an orange pad) and followed it up with Black Magic Liquid wax (applied with my PC using the standard white pad). Looks great and all the swirls and little scratches are gone

5. spark plugs.

the swirling is pretty serious and you don't need much light to see it. recommend a polish.

6. spark plugs.

it's definitely something that AIO can't handle, after all...AIO is just a chemical cleaner. ;)

7. Scottwax

:dunno: So paint dependent.

It may take Optimum Compound and a cutting pad to make any real headway...but on softer paints, I've taken out swirls with Vanilla Moose and a polishing pad. Typically, lighter colored metallics tend to be hard, vs softer solid black paint.

8. LA02MAX

LA02MAX New Member

We have a pretty hard clearcoat...doesn't swirl easily but chips like a mother...you need a fairly abrasive pad but Klasse AIO was enough to get rid of my swirls. Now if only there was a magical paint chip solvent...my front bumper needs a serious re-paint :sadwavey:

9. spark plugs.

i've used dealer touchup with the langka chip repair kit and yielded some decent results.

10. SoySauciAl

SoySauciAl Guest

optimum hyper compound doesnt work for me at all. i guess it takes a while to break down or something even on a rotary because compare to 3m compounds, this stuff is like wax. it seems to fill swirls temporary then comes back 20 seconds later, really annoying! i dont think anything cuts like 3m compounds as they are designed for bodyshop guys to cut some serious orange peel/runs off new paint.. too bad its really hard to use in the sun. i am really getting sick and tired of all these products with fillers.

11. Scottwax

The key with Optimum products is to use less. Too much and the abrasives ride up over the polishing oils and don't break down. Once the pad is primed, you only need 3 or so pea sized dabs of polish per section. Optimum doesn't have fillers, I think you are just using too much and it isn't fully breaking down.

12. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Optimum is a pain in the ass to get used to.
    Likewise, Nissan paint is a bitch to polish.