Swirls>me V.need help

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by spitfyre, Apr 7, 2006.

1. spitfyre

spitfyre OT Supporter

So using my PC for the first time with Optimum compound and polish. The paint feels good and has good reflection but the swirls are not comming out. I worked with the compound for a while but still a lot swirls. It's silver paint and it's really hard to tell but I will b doing some other cars this year so I need some advice on which is the best way to get rid of these swirls.

edit: Actually looks like a bunch of straight scratches am I doing this when I am buffing? How do I get these out?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2006
  2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Can you post pics?

What technique are you using with the PC? Speed of the machine? Speed of motion across the paint? Amount of pressure? What pad (not color, cutting or polishing)?

What kind of car? Some paints are a lot harder than others, like Audis and Corvettes.

3. spitfyre

spitfyre OT Supporter

It's on a silver 2002 jetta
    I started with the compound with a cutting pad then moved to a polish on a polishing pad not a lot of pressure monstly on speed 4-5. My speed with the polisher was not too fast general side to side motion. I am at work right now but i will try and get a pic tomorow

4. Scottwax

Kick the speed up to 5-6, work slowly, about 1" per second with 50% overlapping passes, about 3-4 passes, up/down, across, etc. Use enough pressure to lightly bog the PC then let up just enough for it to pick up speed again. Use that amount of pressure. Look at my av, I probably have 8-10 pounds of pressure on the PC, you can see how the pad is somewhat smooshed.

5. spitfyre

spitfyre OT Supporter

Ok I will give it a try as so far all my attempts have failed. I was worried about pressing too hard and damaging the paint but i guesse i have to practice a bit to get the hang of it.

Thanks Scott

6. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

I would say there are three main reasons why you arent getting the results you want.

1: Polisher speed to low - It should be set to its maximum.
    2: Pressure to light - Light pressure will not generate heat and cause the aprasives to do their job. You will actually end up doing more damage by applying light pressure, then heavy. THis is NOT a rotory, you have very little chance of burning the paint, or damagine it.
    3: Repative motion - You cant simple go side to side. You have to go side to side, up and down, and diagonal. I usually start at the top with a side to side. Then once i get to the bottom i head to the top and do a top to bottom pass. Then usually at least another side to side. If there is extra maring, ill throw in at least one diagonal pass as well. If you use the same pass technique every time over an area, you will not fully polish the area, and will be left with some micro maring that looks like streaking, plus you will not fully polish the swirl from every angle to reduce it. It really is key to keep the buffer moving in alternating directions to make use of the polish. SOme even prefer to use a Figure-8 pattern to work some panels. See if tht works for you as well.

7. spitfyre

spitfyre OT Supporter

:cool: Thanks for info I am going to give it a try tomorow and i will let you guys know how I made out

8. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

For fucks sake.
    I didnt proof read my post, and my dislexia got the best of me in it.
    :wtc:

I hope that made sence.

9. wangatang

wangatang backing it in your mom

don't worry it made sense. most of it :o

:cool: good tips

10. spitfyre

spitfyre OT Supporter

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:
    You guys kick ass thanks for teh advise looks a 100x better!!! Not perfect this car has had a lot of paint chips but I will get at them later in the year.
    Again thanks for the advice!!!

11. spitfyre

spitfyre OT Supporter

Well here are the results. Sorry not the best of cameras didnt turn out too bad for my first PC attempt. Thanks for all of the help :wavey:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Nice, glad you got the results you where looking for.

13. Scottwax

Whole car shots? :x:

Glad it worked out for you. BTW, another bit of advice-don't use too much polish once the pad it primed. The lubricants ride up over each other and the abrasives can't do their job.

14. spitfyre

spitfyre OT Supporter

Whole car is still a work in progress as we speak I wanted to get the proper technique before I went and did the whole car. I hope I didint use too much polish as I usually only put an "X" on the pad before each section. Here are some pics the brake clean up I did and of the car not yet detailed.
    Again thanks for the help:bowdown:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]