Swing Vote

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by caribou, Jun 19, 2008.

1. caribou

caribou New Member

Has anyone checked out the trailer to this? It's got Kevin Costner as the lead, but the supporting cast I think is pretty remarkable. It has Nathan Lane, Stanley Tucci, and Kelsey Grammer. I think it looks pretty good. Here's the trailer.

2. nozoki

nozoki Hail to the king, baby.

Saw the trailer in front of Get Smart last night. Seems like it might be enjoyable.

3. caribou

caribou New Member

Yea- I thought they did a great job with the trailer, really has a nice feeling to it. I'm a fan of Kelsey Grammer's from Fraiser, and I love Costner in Tin Cup, that's probably my favorite of his. I think it will be a good movie.

4. Kalypso

Kalypso New Member

It could be good, but a few things need to happen-

It needs to not get preachy
    It probably needs to settle on a morally ambiguous ending, where either he doesn't determine who wins, or he does but it's not completely politically charged to one side or the other

I can see a few problems the film is definitely going to have (10 year old girl being smarter, more educated and more ambitious than her 40-year old father, for example), but I'll give it a shot and hope for the best.

5. sploosh

sploosh OT Supporter

That, and how could it be possible that 1 person would determine a presidential election? :dunno:

6. Kalypso

Kalypso New Member

It's not really that complicated. All the states but one arrive at an electoral tie. The one state remaining has a tied popular vote. They show in the trailer that he goes to vote and gets an error. So his vote wasn't counted. So his one vote sways the popular vote, which sways the electoral vote, which determines the election.

I mean, it's not plausible, but it's a movie. I'm not sure why people have so much trouble with the premise, not that complicated. Something similar has happened to us twice in elections (Election completely determined by one states electoral votes).

7. sploosh

sploosh OT Supporter

political processes > me :o

8. caribou

caribou New Member

From the looks of the trailer I don't think it really focuses too heavily on the political aspect, but instead is more about the relationship between him and his daughter, him and the candidates, and the candidates and their morals.

9. caribou

caribou New Member

So apparently, to promote the movie, they're doing these fake campaign ad's for the presidents. I saw this one on You Tube and thought it was hilarious. If you have a minute check it out. I think it's cool that this movie isn't really taking it self too seriously with the political aspect, as you can tell from these videos.

YouTube Link