swimming as a workout (requesting tips/advice)

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by jehan60188, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

I have access to a lap lane that's not very long, and (i think) only 5' deep; but it should be sufficient for a 30-45 minute cardio workout.
    having not have been in a pool in years, I'm curious as to how I should go about things.
    any tips?

edit: going to try these out: http://ruthkazez.com/IntroToSwimWorkouts.html

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  2. Coconut Endo

Coconut Endo OT Supporter

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.175 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

There's a series of vids on youtube by jimmy shea or something like that - he does a pretty good job teaching all the strokes. For freestyle specifically, there's a michael phelps underwater cam video taken from right in front of him that's great to imitate.

3. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

just an update for those that are wondering, I swim at least once a week. the first time i went out, i scraped my head against the sidewall since i didn't have any goggles and was swimming with my eyes closed. goggles are helpful in avoiding that!

what I do:

warm up with breast stroke
    "freestyle" aka "front crawl" until I can't anymore (usually 15-25 minutes), still focusing on form more than speed. (fyi, freestyle is retardedly faster than breast stroke!)
    then i dick around for a while: see how far I can swim at the bottom of the pool until i have to surface (repeat three times, take a 2-3 minute break, and do another "set"), or swim with just leg kicks, or just one arm and legs.

it's a good way to cross train on days i'm not doing half mile repeats, or long runs.

I'm taking next week off (from swimming), since i'm starting to feel some elbow pain, but i'll get back in the week after that. definitely sticking with it as long as i can tolerate the cold water (in TX, that'll probably be mid octoberish)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.