swimmers

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Cyndia, Aug 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cyndia

Cyndia New Member

how much do you actually have to swim to get a "good" workout in? i did laps at the pool today but i never know what a good amount of swimming is.

also, i dont want to get huge shoulders (im a girl), but im not too worried about it, i only swim like 2/3 times a week and am probably gonna stop in a month when school starts up again.... either way, is it a good substitute for running? (i usually run, but swim on my days off)

2. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

:naughty:

how you Dooin?

you won't get huge shoulders from swimming unless you are planning on joining the chinese olympic team...and their shoulders come with beards and balls.

as far as a good workout, find a level of perceived excertion that is about a 7 on a 1-10 scale then try to maintain it for 30 minutes.....it is a place to start. This could mean a couple laps or a couple miles.

3. Cyndia

Cyndia New Member

so does that include the little breaks after finishing a few laps? or keep going hard core for 30 min

4. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

that is why it is called perceived excertion, it relies on how hard YOU feel like you are working. If you are trying to get good cardiovascular work out of the session then I would try to maintain about a 7-8, if you just want to burn fat try to maintain a 5-6 where you are still able to talk although you are breathing semi hard.

I would imagine it would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 laps in an olympic pool.

5. velamint

velamint Yesterday I woke up sucking a lemon

would it be a good book for a swimming newb? I havent swam in forever but I'd really like to get into it, but I dont want to go to the pool and embarass myself :o does anyone know what the system usually is at pools in a gym? im guessing you can only go if there's a free lane or something otherwise you wait? I dont even know how many lanes are in a typical pool :o

6. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

you can find plenty of information on proper stroke technique all over the place. when you get to the college pool, look to see who is swimming what and where. you'll be able to pick out the real swimmers from the wannabe swimmers. dont interfere with the real swimmers, they'll run you over (not intentionally but i find it harder to actualy swim slowly than to swim moderate pace). pools are typicaly 6 or 8 lanes though sometimes more.

i would say about 20 laps for the average swimmer, 30 for above average, 40 for a solid swimmer. this is continuous.

female swimmers actualy tend to get fairly top heavy (not saying you're gonna bulk out), but most collegiate female swimmers have bigger chests and wider shoulders than me. whether that's a product of years of swimming or genetics i'm not too sure.

7. 007

007 Riden, sliden, whipin and dippin, my chrome strips

^ there small waists just make there shoulders look big.

8. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

in an olympic sized pool, doing around 50 to 80 laps freestyle would be a good amount of swimming. I wasn't on on the swim team (winter sport) but in the fall during high school I did water polo, and for the warmup we had do swim around that much.

9. WPInerd

WPInerd New Member

well it all depends on the intensity fo your workout. If you swim at a moderate pace, id say about an hour

10. Cyndia

Cyndia New Member

:eek: 50 laps back AND forth? that would take me foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrr....

swimming sucks :o

j/k..

11. Mike4831

Mike4831 “Dream as if you’ll live forever, live as if you’l

In my prime, I was doing between 5000 and 7000 meters 5 times a week. I would say that was a good work, but I didn't really gain any mass in my shoulders.

12. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

lol a 4k meter warmup..

uh yeah if you say so. :ugh:

13. WPInerd

WPInerd New Member

:werd: swimming does wonders when it comes to getting rid of bodyfat

14. Cyndia

Cyndia New Member

3 hours of swimming a day.... man

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.