sweep the leg johnny!!

Discussion in 'MMA Training Logs' started by DOHChi, Apr 22, 2008.

1. DOHChi

DOHChi New Member

i think its time that i start my own training log.
    what better day than to start on a monday.
    my background, ive been training with the academy im at right now since november 2007. before i just had "backyard" training, just some friends who trained before showing me some basic techniques at a local gym.

went to class at 7:15.
    did warmups, abs and stretches for 15 minutes.

then did gaurd pass drills for 5 minutes, with the person on bottom sweeping or submitting.
    then went right into mount escape drills for 5 minutes, with the person on top maintaing top control and submitting.
    then went right into back escape drills for 5 minutes, with the person taking the back or submitting.
    then went right into north/south drills for 5 minutes, with the person on top maintaining control and submitting.

after the drills our instructor was frustrated at how many of the guys couldnt just maintain control. so we worked on mount, knee on belly, sidemount, and north south for rest of the class. just drilling basic mounts.

after class they let us roll for 3 5 minute rounds. i did pretty good in my humble opinion. i went against 3 guys, 2 were good wrestlers (wrestled in hs and wrestling in college), with basic submission skills, and 1 semi-noob.
    i submitted all of them more than once, and just basically tried to work my sweeps and mounts that we learned in class. didnt get submitted once :o

seems like my favorite submission is the triangle right now, i can get it on a lot of people at will most of the time, and when people try to pass my guard from standing, i somehow just snag it on them when they come down on me. a lot of the guys in class know me as the triangle kid :rofl:

all in all it was a great class, i needed this class as i sometimes just forget the fundamentals (maintaining control).

2. TigreTek

TigreTek omega member OT Supporter

he's a creampuff! put him in a body bag!

3. DOHChi

DOHChi New Member

went into class today at 5.
    did the beginner's class. after monday night, i told myself i needed to go back and drill more positions. the beginner class let me do that.

did sidemount drills and sidemount escapes. then worked on applying the darce when someone bumps to get position on sidemount.

after beginner bjj, went into the muay thai class. worked with a partner for 45 minutes, then went right into bag work for 25. was a great class, and my cardio was on point.

after muay thai, i went to the intermediate/advance bjj. worked on more guard passes with trapping the arm. then worked on the "s" mount after passing the guard. i love the s mount, how u pretty much can have your way with your opponent.

rolled after class too with a couple guys, subbed everyone i went with, except against my instructors.
    fucking great day of training, i was at the gym from 5-9, im so beat.

4. DOHChi

DOHChi New Member

went to the gym during my break from work. did 5 3 min. rounds with 1 min rest in between rounds, on the bag.

then used a dummy working on my positions on the ground for, doing mount, transitioning to knee on belly, sidemount, north south, etc.

then i did one handed swings, with a 44lb kettlebell. did 3 setsx12 reps on each arm. after, i did abs for 10 min.

5. DOHChi

DOHChi New Member

went to the gym again during my break from work. did same bag workout, and same abs workout. did the same one handed swings with the 44lb kettlebell, 3 sets x 12 reps. did lunges going across the room and back with the kettlebell, 3 x. then did squats with the kettlebell 3 sets x 15 reps.

6. DOHChi

DOHChi New Member

updating the log since this past saturday.

saturday was open gym time. since it was a nice fucking day, everyone decided to go to the beach. nobody showed up except for me, one of my instructors and another teammate.

we decided to train in the gi that day, so we warmed up. did some drills and then decided to just roll. as we rolled our instructor dave would give us pointers, and demonstrate the transitions as we went along.

nissen osterneck, wec fighter(recently signed, watch out for him), showed up and showed us some gi chokes from the mount, and how to defend them.

after class i took a shower and got ready, so that my instructor dave, nissen and i can go to raleigh, nc to go watch another one of my instructor, neal zumbro, fight.

he won his fight in 22 seconds, went for a superman punch, barely missed, clinched, and went for a flying armbar, and i believe he broke the guys arm, since he couldnt tap (had both arms trapped) and was yelling in pain.

went into class tonight and in my opinion had a bad day. we were doing some positioning drills, holding the mount and transition to other mounts, also can submit. the other guy had to escape, regaurd or stand up. i couldnt hold my positions that were worth a damn. id go for subs, and can land some S mounts, but my transitioning and maintaining a position is crap.

our head instructor, jeremy, then showed us basic submissions from different mounts and we drilled those until the end of class.

after class we rolled, i went up against dave, the other instructor, and he told me i gave him a hard time. took his back once, almost had a triangle, but he had his other hand in.
    then i went up against some wrestler kid who is pretty new. worked on my sweeps, and submission transitions on him. triangled him couple times, kimura, rnc, pretty much had my way with him.
    then i went up against a 275lb wrestler for nc state. had nothing for him, his size was just hard to overcome, even though my technique is better, he just overpowered out of everything.

decent day. i need to work on transitions more, and my top game next.

7. DOHChi

DOHChi New Member

8. DOHChi

DOHChi New Member

went into gi class tonight. got there late, when i got there, the local news was there trying to get a story about the local mma scene here, and interviewing my instructors, and one of our fighters.

technique wise, learned new way to pass butterfly guard. drilled that for awhile.
    then learned a "flashy" sweep using the butterfly guard, cool shit. drilled that for awhile too.
    then rolled until the end of class.

9. DOHChi

DOHChi New Member

wednesday is fun day. im in there for at least 4 hours.

beginner bjj, drilled armbars, then drilled back escapes. after, we rolled starting with holding the back. i escaped numerous times, never let my partner sub me. i subbed him couple of times, never let him escape.

in muay thai class, we had to spar. after warmups we did a round robin type of sparring. i stayed in for 2 rounds, first guy i did great, i imposed my will, looked for counters and threw punches at good angles. 2nd guy, i did decent, he played the counter game mostly.

in advance bjj, the techniques taught were a rolling kimura when someone has your back standing, halfguard to kneebar, halfgaurd to buttefly to sweep, then halfguard to butterfly to taking the back. we drilled all those for awhile. then we rolled after class.

first guy i rolled with, did great, he dominated me with submissions, but i was working on transitioning my escapes whenever he'd get different mounts. i was pretty satisfied with myself.

2nd guy i rolled with was a wrestler who was spastic as hell, and cant relax worth a damn. i thought id play the top game so i can work on it, when i went to pass his guard he manages a wizzer, then just lays on my elbow and i had to tap. it was a freak sub, but he just kept rubbing it in.

i have never once gotten pissed off during training, but him rubbing it in ticked me off. so i went with whats natural for me and played off of my guard, threw triangle, he tapped but held it for a couple more secs. then i got another triangle, didnt finish it, instead grabbed his arm and just cranked it. then went again, this time went for a guillotine, stood up forced him to a wall, picking him up and cranked it hard.

i know i shouldnt have gotten angry over something so dumb, but we've been getting a crapload of wrestlers and marines in the gym lately and none of them ever check their egos at the door. usually my instructors will give them a quick reality check.

i dunno, maybe i should apologize next time i see him.

10. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

...and then apologize next time.

11. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

:h5:, though, looks good!

12. DOHChi

DOHChi New Member

thanks guys, i think im gonna start being a lot more aggressive towards the new guys that are all gungho. im gonna start taking the cage's approach and never back down from now on.

went to the gym during my break from work. did 5 3 min. rounds with 1 min rest in between rounds, on the bag.

then did kettlebell training again with the 20kg.
    one handed swings did 3 setsx12 reps on each arm. after, i did abs for 10 min.

13. DOHChi

DOHChi New Member

friday i went to the gym during my break from work. did 6 3 min. rounds with 1 min rest in between rounds, on the bag. im trying to get up to 12 rounds, 1 round up every week.

then did kettlebell training again with the 20kg.

today, we did bjj in the gi. drilled positions, then learned a new guard pass. then we rolled after for awhile.

14. DOHChi

DOHChi New Member

today in bjj class we drilled mount positions again. guy on top transitions to different mounts and subs, while guy on bottom escapes, or regaurds. i did pretty shitty on the drills, couldnt maintain my positions and when i did go for subs, they escaped.

for technique, we drilled on how to transition from a submission to another. we did kimura, to guillotine, to triangle. drilled that for awhile.

after class, we rolled 4 rounds for 5 minutes each. my first guy i went with the wrestler that tried to be cocky (check few posts back). rnc, triangle, head and arm choke, armbar, went for a heel hook, looked at my instructor told me not to finish it went for straight ankle lock instead. never got subbed or had my guard passed. im not giving this guy a chance right now to impose any kind of game on me right now, until his attitude changes.

2nd guy has been training as long as i have, but doesnt come as often as i do. triangle, armbar, head and arm choke, reverse triangle finishing with americana. never got subbed, but he did pass my guard a couple times and got sidemount.

3rd guy was 275 lbs only a couple of months in, layed and prayed on me most of the time, but i was able to get good sweeps on him, and 2 triangles. never got subbed.

4th guy has been doing this longer than me, but he took 1 month off, dunno why. triangle, triangle, omaplata, and bicep slicer. never got subbed and was never really in any danger with him. he was pretty upset, since before he would dominate me.

all in all good class. still need to work on my mount, mount transitionings.

15. DOHChi

DOHChi New Member

went into boxing class tonight, instead of gi bjj. warmups, then drilled jabs, then jabs to hooks. parrying and blocking jabs. after that did only 4 rounds of sparring. my cardio was great never really got tired, partner was dead at the end of 4th so i just unloaded with the best combo techniques that i knew.

16. DOHChi

DOHChi New Member

wednesday fun day!

went to beginner bjj, warmups, then drilled triangles. drilled a guard pass. then rolled with the instructor.

did muay thai, warmups, drilled right, left, roundhouse combo, with partner catching the kick. then drilled same combo except u close distance, snatch your leg down and then throw a knee. drilled left, right, then clinch, then 3 knees combo.

after, i sparred for 6 rounds, each with different guys. even with my instructor, who whooped my ass.

then went into intermediate/advance bjj. warmups, our head instructor wasnt there, so we drilled taking the back from butterfly, escaping sidemount, escaping back control, and passing guard. with your partner trying to sub or control you. did that drill with 3 different partners. after drills, i rolled 2 5min rounds.

im beat.

17. DOHChi

DOHChi New Member

update. thursday and friday, did the usual rounds on the bags, and kettlebell training.

today was awesome, kamal shalrous was here and he taught us a few takedowns. the guy is a monster wrestler. i definetely picked up a few new takedowns that i will try to incorporate from now on.

oh yea, he's fighting luiz azeredo in july on the monson vs randleman card. he also, beat joachim hansen in abu dabhi.

18. DOHChi

DOHChi New Member

update... sunday was light, just did kettlebell, abs and rounds on the bags

today in bjj class, we learned a couple of sweeps if u have the underhook from halfguard. then a reguard and a couple of submissions if they have the underhooks from halfguard. really was a great class, cant believe how much i could do in the halfguard.

then rolled afterwards, went against 4 guys, each for 3 minutes, with 30 second breaks.
    1st guy, 2 triangles, didnt get subbed, or got my guard passed.
    2nd guy, 1 gogoplata, didnt get subbed, got my guard passed, and even got mounted, but i was able to recover to halfguard, then full guard.
    3rd guy, 3 triangles, didnt get subbed or got my guard passed.
    4th guy, ankle lock, didnt get subbed or got my guard passed. went to pass his guard, he went for a leglock, i postured, got my foot free, and went for my own straight achilles. i was very satisfied with this victory, because ive been playing catch up with this guy. he's been doing this a little longer than me, but ive been noticing that im definetely giving him a harder time now.

19. DOHChi

DOHChi New Member

Hitting that reset button on my life.

So for the past couple of months I haven't been able to train like I use to. I quit my job beginning of the summer, and I hurt my neck, that is still sore some days. When I quit my job, I was suppose to get another job right after, but it fell through.

I was jobless for 2 months, racking up bills and getting in debt. I didnt train because I couldn't afford it, even though my coaches told me they would work something out. I just didn't want to put myself in a position where I couldnt repay them back, so I sporadically went in the gym when they invited me.

Before I quit my job, I was also talking to a girl. She was like no other girl to me, awesome personality, cute, and we had the same haircut lol. Anyways, when I quit my job, and couldnt find another one, I became depressed, mentally, and emotionally I started to break down. It got to the point where I pushed her away, and a lot of my friends. I wouldn't be social as I use to be, and became unhealthy in all aspects of life.

To make it all worse, I went on a "class field trip" with some of my teammates to another gym in another city. They wanted to cheer me up, so we went out of town to relax and train at another gym where we have friends. At the gym I ended up hurting my neck while in a clinch. So that put a halt on my training for awhile too.

So stupid sad story aside, lets move a a bit forward in time. I got a job, its only part-time, should be moving to full-time in a month or so after I finish with my training. Im a leasing consultant for a company, renting out apartments and houses, haha. Its a cool job, get to spend a lot of my time on the computer, and I get to veem around in a golf cart around the properties.

Ive started to pick up my training again. Worked something out with my coach, where I can train all the time and be his assistant when we're in class. Im also in charge of doing any design work when needed. So that got all fixed.

The girl situation, heh, thats the only thing I couldnt fix. She wants to hang out, but I just got put on friendzoned. So I rarely talk to her now, only when I see her out in public, we'll have a little chat.

ANYWAYS my rant aside, here is what I did yesterday in class.
    GI jiu jitsu.
    -did 2 3minutes of guard pass drills.
    -technique, worked on getting out of half-guard, taking mount.
    also, worked on getting back and kind of guard.
    I worked with a new kid, so I just worked on technique and drilling with him
    a lot.
    - after technique work, we did 3 rounds of 6 minutes grappling from standing.
    I noticed that I was gassing, due to not training like I use to. I felt timid,
    and mentally I don't think Im in it yet. I got subbed a couple of times which
    for me is easy to defend, and I didn't feel tight at all. Everything was loose,
    and my timing was off.
    I hope its just from not being in the gym so long, and I just have to play a little bit of catch up.

I then went to the boxing class right after.
    -3 rounds x 2 1/2 minutes of shadow boxing
    -technique, learned to parry a jab and counter after blocking punches
    -partnered up and did 5 rounds of this
    -3 rounds of punching bag, then 1 round of shadowboxing , then 1 round of
    punching bag to finish up the class.

Well thanks for reading the crappy blog, if anyone did. I know Im not the only one with problems in life. Its just I've never had a breakdown like I did before, and the way I dealt with it was probably unhealthy. I just wanted to put this down, so I can learn from it and remind myself of the mistakes I make in my life.

20. dengar

dengar seans is a afta marchsollwe in his gir! OT Supporter

Everyone goes through bullshit in their life. Some let it take them over and others put it behind them. It looks like you are on the right track.

21. Sylva

Sylva New Member

I broke a nigga's arm that needed a reality check.

Seriously.

22. dengar

KRAMER: Whoa, whoa. Can't? When did that word enter your vocabulary? What, is the job too difficult? What, you don't have enough experience? Oh, you're not smart enough? Where's your confidence? Look, Elaine, let me tell you a story. When I first studied karate...

ELAINE: Karate?

KRAMER: Yeah, karate. I had no support. Not from him, not from Newman, no one. The first time I sparred with an opponent, I was terrified. My legs, they were like noodles. But then I looked inside, and I found my katra.

ELAINE: Katra?

KRAMER: Yeah, your spirit, your, uh, being. The part of you that says, "Yes, I can!" So I listened to my katra and now <vreep> I'm dominating the dojo. I'm class champion.

23. DOHChi

DOHChi New Member

haha thanks dengar, i think im on the right track.
    also, sylva your mad gangstar

24. dengar

understatement of the year and :h5:

25. Sylva

Sylva New Member

:rofl:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008