GUN SW M&P vs Beretta PX-4

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by MTech, Apr 11, 2007.

1. MTech

MTech New Member

Just when I thought I had it down I got on the PX-4 tonight... this hting is easy to conceal and it fires extra smooth. I'm at a toss up between the two here so I thought I'd get some opinions..pricing is fairly close..what I do like on the PX-4 though is the thumb safety on the all black which the M&P is LEO...

I'm either going with a .45 or a 9mm and gettin the other later (maybe not same pistol) but I want a full size (even though you can call the normal PX4 a compact I guess) and a Compact/sub-compact in the end. It's just a question of which size and which caliber first. I've got

Opinions??

PX-4 = http://www.praxagora.com/lunde/wallpaper/px4-left-full-hi.jpg
    M&P = http://www.praxagora.com/lunde/photos/mp9c-mp9-1.jpg

2. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

M&P all the way

3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I've heard excellent things about both and wouldn't hesitate with getting either. Personally I'd probably swing a little more to the m&p because of s&w's excellent customer service and the lack of a safety but ymmv.

4. MTech

MTech New Member

I guess I should state most all the guns I've fired have had the thumb safety so it's actually a feature I like... The dealer I'm probably getting the pistol from either way gave me a lecture about not needing it basically saying "you could take the chambered M&P and toss it off the ground all day and it's not going to go off it's a solid gun."

which was humorous and nice to know, but I guess it's a mental thing that's nice to know it's there? Something just sits a bit unsettling with being chambered and no safety.

I still have to shoot the M&P but I like the feel, the PX-4 I'm probably goign to get to shoot tomorrow and just from holding it and gettin on the trigger the trigger is a hell of a lot smoother than the M&P but the gun overall is bulkier. My buddy who got it said it's the smoothest thing he's shot it's like "wiping your ass with silk" was the terminology he used.

So I guess I'm looking more for those who have shot both how do they stack up? the M&P is supposed to be ridiculously smooth but some don't like the trigger, though I hear you can really get some nice trigger jobs.... The other thing on the PX-4 which I wasn't sure about on the M&P is it comes with Night Sites.

Plus it's probably going to be a bit of time before I get the second one so full size or compact?? I really want to get a .45, and if I go compact that's not an option with these too unless you call the 4in a compact with the PX-4 but there's still some guys who say it's not very good for CC... So if I were to go compact/sub compact I'd obviously like it to hold as much as possible and being I don't like 40's I'd like it to be able to handle a good 9 round (M&P you aren't supposed to use +P in)

5. Platinum_Thunder

The sights on the M&P need to get swapped out.

6. whamola

whamola Tonight....you.

I have the M&P..I don't mind the trigger..but a lot of guys do get jobs done on their guns. The sights are OK..nothing special. I'm considering getting some new sights this summer, though.

Oh, and I have it in .40, but it has less felt recoil than my buddie's 9mm Glock. S&W went all out on this gun.

7. Platinum_Thunder

I understand the 40 was built from the ground up, instead of taking a 9mm and beefing it up.

8. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

I've really taken a liking to Berettas lately, especially the PX4, but I'd honestly go with the M&P compact, which is one I'm seriously looking at myself.
    In 40 of course.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  9. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

m&p...I dont like external safetys

Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  10. MTech

MTech New Member

There's a pretty big love on .40's on here. I never liked how snappy they are though.. I've heard the M&P is supposed to really handle it well though.. The PX-4 my friend originally got in 40 and hated it than he sold and got this 9 which he is raving about. I'm hopefully going out to shoot tonight and get sworn into his range.

Have you checked out the PX-4 to know the huge diff. in feel with the triggers though?? The PX-4 trigger feels nothing like the M&P it might just be because of the safety but I think there's more to it, it's insanely smooth.

11. whamola

whamola Tonight....you.

When I first looked for my pistol I wanted to check otu the PX-4, but noone had the damn thing and then just by happen-chance I picked up the M&P (guy at the store kept trying to sell me a 9mm Glock or other just little guns) I was pretty adamant on .40, though (didn't wanna pay the .45 price for ammo and I've just never been a fan of 9mm).

But anyhow, I feel as good after 200 rounds as I did after 1 round w/ this gun. I can't say the same for a .45 or the Glock sub compact in .40 (that thing was a little sonofabitch to shoot) The felt recoil on the M&P is almost nothing like you'd expect out of a .40. From what I've gathered S&W really spent a fortune on ergonomics for this gun, to make sure it was the best. Also I like that you can change grips easily for different sized hands and the take down of the gun itself is REALLY easy.

I dunno if the px-4 has that, but I remember looking at both when trying to decide and it really just looked like an aesthetics thing as far as features. I have yet to shoot the px-4, though..so I dunno.

12. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

Hey MTech, which one is insanely smooth? The Beretta?

13. MTech

MTech New Member

yea, but you know what I literally held it for like seconds when I posted that and I didn't realize the way the safety is on that it lets you pull the trigger..so if you have the safety on there's like no resistance and being I never pulled the entire way back cause I've always been told dry fire = bad I didn't realize this. I got on it tonight and of course took off the safety and it's actually a harder pull compared to the M&P I htink, and it's got a little bit of creep.

I am still up in the air.. The M&P is $499 in the store and the PX-4 is $499 as well...the PX-4 has night sights and a manual safety where as the M&P has neither.....

I also got to hold the M&P COmpact tonight they got one in and surprisingly (i have big hands) I can fit my entire hand on the handle, that pinky grip is great!... so it's really got me thinking... compact MP in 9 or 40...or full size in 40 or 45.... and with the PX-4 it's be the 9 or the 45 and in sub compact just the 9... don't like how the PX-4 handles 40 at all.

14. whamola

whamola Tonight....you.

You can get the M&P w/ night sights...factory option.
    The .45's that are being shipped now have an option for a manual safety, too.

check out www.mp-pistol.com

15. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

I favor the M&P.

If the manual safety issue is a deciding factor, consider this: When you carry the gun, do you carry it safety on and practice deactivating the safety as you draw?

If not, why have it? So Murphy can flip it on when you yank it out to shoot some knife-wielding maniac?

16. MTech

MTech New Member

Just the shit brown one..the black ones with night sites/manual safety are LEO like I said in my first post.

17. Furner

Furner New Member

are the 10-8 M&P sights out yet?

18. Platinum_Thunder

They sure are and are well liked.

19. Platinum_Thunder

I personally can't stand Beretta's safety setup...I'm about about 1911 style thumb safeties, but pizza guns are lame.

20. jeri534

jeri534 OT Supporter

I had an M&P, probably the best ergonimically after a 1911, shot very well. 700 rounds through it no issues whatsoever.

21. whamola

whamola Tonight....you.

Oh, my bad, thought you were talking about m&p's in general. You can get night sights on the 9 and the 40 as an option.

22. MTech

MTech New Member

Make it easier..

[​IMG]
    PX-4

[​IMG]
    M&P

23. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I hate that safety :squint:

24. Gimik

Gimik New Member

thumb. I've fired an M&P and the trigger safety didn't bother me at all.

25. MTech

MTech New Member

hum.... full size .45 or compact .9 or .40 (M&P)... which to get first?