GUN SW? ACP? What do they mean?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ez4me2c3d, Oct 23, 2003.

1. ez4me2c3d

ez4me2c3d Guest

I've searched high and low, and now I’m searching some where in the middle. I’ve asked friends, supervisor, coworkers, dad, family and everyone I run into is either A) ignorant about the subject or B) just like everyone else and just don’t know.

So now I ask you all, what is the significance of the SW in .40SW or the ACP in 45ACP (and if there are others that fall into this category also)

I have come to the conclusion that SW is Smith & Wesson. But I’m not sure as to why they would put that on every (seems like every) .40 cal pistol.

I'm in need of some serious learning here. Thanks in advanced for the replies.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2003
  2. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

The 40 cal S and W is there as it is my understanding from a local gun shop is because Smith and Wesson invented that round, therefore tis printed on everything. The 45apc is for semi autos liked the model 1911 the other one which I cant remember is for the old west 45 revolver types if I understand correctly

Welcome and ask questions as much as needed!

3. RCSTZ71

RCSTZ71 Guest

S&W = Smith and Wesson cause they invented the round

ACP = It stands for Automatic Colt Pistol. The .25 ACP, .32 ACP, and .380 ACP are known in Europe as the 6.35mm Browning, the 7.65mm Browning and the 9mm Browning Short. There is also the .45 ACP and the .38 Super ACP (usually called just the .38 Super, the original .38 ACP being rarely encountered these days); I don't know if the last two have ever had European equivalents. They were all, with the possibly exception of the .38 Super, designed by John Moses Browning for use in Colt automatic pistols.

Hope this help.

4. ez4me2c3d

ez4me2c3d Guest

I see, so basically it's giving credit where credit is due.
    So, are there any .40 pistols out there that do not have SW by the .40 marking? (same goes for the ACP marking) Or is it safe to say that all .40 pistols are .40SW? (again, same with ACP?)

Thank you both for the help.

5. mrbill

mrbill New Member

I don't know about the .40, but Glock just introduced the .45GAP(Glock Auto Pistol i think it stands for). Keeping up with all the different rounds is something I'm still working on.

6. gpchamp

gpchamp Guest

SW= Smith & Wesson. They invented the .40 caliber.

ACP= Automatic Colt Pistol.

7. taco

taco Guest

smith and wesson did not invent the 40 caliber.

they worked with the fbi to cut down the 10mm auto.

the 10mm auto is also a 40 cal.

there are also many other 45 cal. that are not acps.

the auto pistol 45s generally use a .451 bullet

the revolver 45s use a .454 bullet

and the rifle 45s use a .458 bullet.

8. insanity911

insanity911 AHAHAHAHAH

everything is messed up.. they make no sense...

the only think that really does.. is the NATO designations for the ammo that acutally refer to the size

then you have the "magnum" versions of the ammo and crap... with shottys you have the rounds that fit in even tho they're too big and you wont know until the gun blows up on you ahha

9. ez4me2c3d

ez4me2c3d Guest

You know this for fact? That interesting because the .40 cal converts to 10.16mm but they are truthfuly the same size you say?

So when it comes down to it. If my pistol (the one I will soon choose) says .40SW i can only shoot a certain type of .40 round through it?

This is the whole reason for this discussion.

10. taco

taco Guest

yes both the 10mm and 40 S&W use the same .400 bullet.

The 400 cor bon, 40 super, 10mm auto, and 10mm magnum also share the same bullet size.

11. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

Actually the .40 S&W was invented by Smith and Wesson and Winchester. I read this in one of my gun mags a long time ago.

taco, what is 40 super? I have never heard of that, do you mean 38 super?

Also, don't forget about the .357 SIG introduced by SIG Sauer, and yest the GAP in the .45 GAP does stand for Glock Auto Pistol.

12. taco

taco Guest

I know S&W had a hand in the development of the 40 S&W i just meant that they didn't invent the .400 bullet size.

I didn't know a whole lot about the 40 super until today, I was just looking at what all brass midway stocked for 40 cal and it was one of them.

The 40 super is basically a shortened 45 win mag necked down to 40 cal.

Here is a page with some info about it.

http://www.zvis.com/dep/mgr.php3?f

13. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

If you buy a .40S&W, you'll be able to find plenty of .40S&W ammo for it. It is one of the most popular calibers available, there's no shortage of choices. Anything not marked .40S&W shouldn't be used, because yes, .40 Super, 400 Corbon, etc are all different rounds, and may fit but would be dangerous to fire.

The exact measurements given in the name of the round don't always reflect the size. (.40S&W, .357, 10mm, .45ACP and so on). Often they're rounded off because who wants to say 10.1mm? Or sometimes the name is based on the original spec for the round and the spec was changed for the actual release of the round. Yes, it's stupid and confusing.

14. ez4me2c3d

ez4me2c3d Guest

cool, thanks for the info kellyclan