svchost.exe virus question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 3l_Chupacabra, Dec 24, 2005.

1. 3l_Chupacabra

3l_Chupacabra New Member

Alright so basically, a good friend of mine used to run their computer without a virus scanner or spyware scanner all the time and got a fair about of shit on it. Since then they have installed microsoft anti-spyware and bought mcaffee and purged their system of the majority of it's problems.

Background aside, my question begins here. The issue is that the computer starts up excruciatingly slow, but once it is up runs somewhat normal for a little bit, then the CPU usage spikes to 100% randomly for periods of a minute give or take and eventually drops back to normal for a small bit of time. It can occur when nothing is going on at all and the computer is not very out of date.

I looked into it myself as I'd very much like to solve it for them, and originally I saw that one of the instances of svchost.exe was using up a LOT of memory for that program, 22 mb to be specific, and it was there on boot and while running and did not leave.

I originally thought it was welcha worm, so I downloaded the symantec welcha removal tool and followed the instructions precisely, however when it finished it said welcha was not detected.

Is it normal for one of the svchosts to be using 22mb of memory? Could that be linked to the issue? If so what else could it be besides welcha? I have googled it and come up with nothing.

Any help or tips or suggestions would be appreciated...

2. 3l_Chupacabra

3l_Chupacabra New Member

Hmm, well if you don't think it's that, does anyone have any idea what worms or viruses could elude detection from a scanner if they were there first and would cause occasional 100% CPU spikes and terrible loading times?

3. darnit

darnit New Member

4. 3l_Chupacabra

3l_Chupacabra New Member

5. 3l_Chupacabra

3l_Chupacabra New Member

not sure, how can I find that out? I checked the graph under the task manager to find out that it was, but while it is spiking the computer moves to slow to be able to do anything else. How could I check it after the fact?