svchost.exe problem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Wbilliam, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Wbilliam

Wbilliam Each it and I

I am having a problem with one of my computers, its running win 2000 I think it might be a virus i'm not sure. Everytime I turn the machine on the the cpu usage shoots up to 100% and stays there, making the computer pretty much unusable. I opened the task manager and it is showing me that it is svchost.exe that is using all the cpu. It never did this before, and I can't figure it out does anyone know what this is?

2. Wbilliam

Wbilliam Each it and I

It won't let me stop the process, but is there any reason why its using all the cpu? i know its not suppose to be doing that.

3. psychonate

psychonate I make baby jesus cry

Wasn't it the blaster virus that screwed with this on 2k?

4. Dark-Hawk

Dark-Hawk New Member

I believe so, but the blaster worm wouldn't do that.. That's is an odd thing that is happening though, you might be wanna try and search with some spyware removers though I know some of them fuck with that. If you have a virus scanner scan with that as well, if all else fails though it looks like a format might be required.

5. Wbilliam

Wbilliam Each it and I

I tried pybot and ad aware they got rid of some stuff, the machine runs so slow I can't even run a virus check so i guess I will reformat:wtc:, thanks to everyone and their help :bigthumb: