Suzuki Samurai????

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by MDSLNGR77, Feb 13, 2003.

1. MDSLNGR77

MDSLNGR77 Guest

Anyone here own/owned a suzuki samurai, modded or fourwheeled it. I'm trading for an 88 and am fishing for info.

2. idontgiveashit

idontgiveashit I eat rice

my friend ahs one, we're lookin to drop a v8 in it and disconnect the 4wd. Any idea what kinda power the rear end can take before it shredds?

3. MDSLNGR77

MDSLNGR77 Guest

I don,t think they'd handle V8 torque. Probably need to upgrade to a jeep Dana axle or a toyota axle. Samurais run such a low gear in some of them I'd be afraid of stripping the ring and pinion.

4. I have been looking into picking on up for wheelin'... A lot of the Samurai guys like to swap 4.3s into them. Thats my plan. Lift, wheels and tires and lockers... and you can go any where in those things

5. MDSLNGR77

MDSLNGR77 Guest

Well, i got mine running yesterday. traded for it over the weekend. The guy I got it from thought it was trashed but it just had a bad battery ground. I won't wheel this one much right now. I have a full size Chevy for that, but I was driving it to work everyday and with the increase in gas cost, it was killing me. I can insure and drive the Sammy for less than the cost of gas for my big truck.

6. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo Guest

I would buy it if I comes w/ swords and shoots arrows at other cars. :o

7. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

Having had a 22RE Toyota before I'd say its a great engine but not allot of power. If it were me I'd go with the 4.3 idea. Its a good engine with a a decent amount of power.

8. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

b2200 mazda would be an awsome choce they are a great motor the crank is super heavy duty in them too

and i liek the 4.3 idea too

9. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

teh b2200 was used in mazda trucks since like forever

we ran one built by jack roush in our old oval car three years on a race motor with no rebuild change the oil after every few races it was uspper relaible

10. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

id go with a full s10 running gear t case ect most of it is pretty buller proof

11. MDSLNGR77

MDSLNGR77 Guest

Well, I finally got the Samurai, no good pics yet just a couple I snapped outside at work. The only things I've done to it so far are diamond plate rocker panels and 1" lift shackles.
    [​IMG]

and...

[​IMG]

Next will be a set of 29" Super Swampers and a paint job. I'm thinking of an engine swap.. most likely another 4cyl.. thinking of running either a 2.3 ford or 2.5 AMC carb'd engine with a 5 sp and the factory t case with a lower gear set.. time will tell.

12. kaxfenix

kaxfenix Guest

If you are going to drop a 4.3 into a zuki .. there are two things you need to condsider.. first the Vortec is to big for the zuki unless you extend the frame rails forward about 4 inches... Honestly I would recomend pouting a GEO Track EFI 4 cyc. in the zuk. That can be costly, I cant remember the years but some carbed Zuk 4cyc. can be converted to EFI using a EFI from a Tracker motor.

Now back to the 4.3 I can promise you with gears and lockers and a 4.3 in a zuk you will be shreding the splines on a rear axle like mad. Not to mention the wimpy ass Birfeild joins the front axle uses. You would defineltey want to drop a Dana 44 int he read and AT LEAST a toyota front axle from a 85 or below 4 runner/pick up. I would recomend the 85 front axle from a toyoa pick up or 4 runner as it has a extra gusset welded to the front for added strength.

Dropping a Dana 44 int he rear also has further problems. The Dana 44 rear 3rd member is centered on the axle where as on the rear end of a zuk it is to the left bye like 8-10 inches to accommodate the xfercase which is set up on the left side. Using a Drive Shaft from a toyota 86-89 with the IFS suspension will work however I would only do that if you are going to use it for 4wheeling only as it would creat alot of drive line vibrations at higher speeds on road. ...

There are alot of things to consider.... if you want the easiest swap and you are good at fabrication/welding I would Drop in a Geo Track powerplant, 85 toyota front axle, a FJ80 land crusier rear axle ( flange is ont he left like stock zuk rear axle) you would need to weld new spring perches as toy axles perches are wider than the zuks, Drop some 4.88 gears, your choice of lockers and some 35s and you would be set.. ..

This is from personal experience with helping my friend build a zuk for rock crawling and off road use ONLY .. ..

13. dragon1976

dragon1976 Guest