Suzuki GS500F - opinions?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Nev, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Nev

Nev Active Member

I'm a beginner rider and was looking at bikes the other day. The Suzuki GS500f was suggested to me...does anyone have opinions or experiences with it?

2. Jujharoo

Jujharoo New Member

You should be fine with anything under 600 or 600s. I'd look into those SVs too.
    whatever you feel comfortable with man. Just be careful, I mean you dont have to be stupid, no one is gonna twist that throttle but you.

3. Nev

Nev Active Member

Yeah, and I'm a careful person .. but a slight mistake could be much more forgiving on a bike like this, rather than one of the higher level 600cc bikes. I eventually plan to move up to something like that (r6/600rr/gsxr), but I was just curious if the GS500F was a good place to start, or if there are other suggestions out there.

4. 3-THREE-7

3-THREE-7 New Member

The Ninja has more power too since it is liquid cooled and the Suzuki is not.

5. ProFX

ProFX New Member

Liquid cooled vs air does not mean or imply more power. If anything, it means more weight.

GS500f is a fantastically gutless machine. Perfect for a learner! It is very friendly, but quick enough.

6. Team503

Team503 Guest

I'd recommend it - it's certainly the only decent LOOKING sub-600 bike out there.

Hey Kawi, Zuki, you bastards listening? BUILD A GOOD LOOKING STARTER BIKE AND PEOPLE WILL BUY IT.

7. ProFX

ProFX New Member

Is your ninja 250 a GPX or ZXR?

Over here it is the i4 ZXR250, an awesome little machine. Impossible to give it better body work.

8. ProFX

ProFX New Member

9. MapleLeaf

MapleLeaf New Member

I own a gs500, my second year with it. A great bike to learn on, the engine and transmission are bulletproof and very forgiving, but if you want to do any serious highway biking, it is a bit underpowered. I have taken mine on highways and had it up to 130 km/h but that is about all I would push it.

Very cheap to maintain, excellent on gas and they have a high resale value. In Toronto you can grab a GS500 for less than a Kawasaki Ninja as they are not as well known and don't have the "ninja" name associated to them. My mechanic told me that the gs500 is one of the best starter bikes on the market and he always recommends them, more so than the Ninja as he feels the Ninja is a bit overrated and outdated.