Suzuki GS500E

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Coddle, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Coddle

Coddle New Member

I just looked at at 1998 Suzuki GS500E that a guy is selling. How are these bikes as far as reliability and doing maitanence on them? I have never owned a Suzuki, let alone a street bike... and I am kind of new at it all and wanted to get some OT input before I drop $1900 on it.

[​IMG]

2. machine81

machine81 New Member

My friend has a '91 GS500E. He's not the most mechanically inclined person and he feels totally comfortable working on it. Their engines are pretty reliable too. His carburetor was pretty gummy though. I'd take the bike for a ride and see if it boggs down anywhere. But even a carb can be cleaned pretty easily.

The bike in your picture looks like it's been used pretty good. I'd ask the owner about the history of it. However, as long as it runs you really can't beat a $1900 toy. :)

3. Coddle

Coddle New Member

I'm just wondering if I could get more bike for $1900... the guy doesn't seem too trustworthy. It seemed to run good and ride good when I rode it, Then again I couldn't get it above 45mph.

4. machine81

machine81 New Member

Is $1900 your budget limit?

5. Coddle

Coddle New Member

The most I can afford on a motorcycle would probably be $2500, I want to keep some money in the bank because I don't have a job right now and would have to pay for insurance on top of other bills.

Does $1900 sound fair for the year that it is? It rode good, seemed to be nothing wrong except for some scratches on it. When I flipped the kickstand up, the RPMS started to go up all the way to 3k... he said it was because of these wires connected to the kickstand that wouldn't allow the bike to move forward or something incase the kickstand was down. Is this true?

6. Tom93R1

Tom93R1 Member

IT shouldnt idle up to 3k when you put the kickstand up. The kickstand switch should do nothing more than kill the engine if you put it down while the transmission is in gear, or not allow you to start it in gear with the stand down. It sounds like this bike is in need of some work and for $1900 you could get someting in much better shape.

7. Coddle

Coddle New Member

Thank you so much! I guess I won't be giving the guy a call tomorrow, thanks for possibly saving me $1900!

8. machine81

machine81 New Member

Yeah, seems fishy. And if your gut tells you something's wrong, skip it.

You can get a pretty decent motorcycle for $2000. Keep looking.