SUV's, Offroading, and Stereosystems

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by IslanderOffRoad, Apr 6, 2006.

1. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

Quick question for those that actually wheel their rigs.

I want to put a system in my Jeep, including a subwoofer, but am having reservations about it because of the fact that this rig will be used as an off road toy.

I've always been preached at that anything not strapped or bolted down in the interior becomes a projectile in the case of a roll-over. Therefore if I do put a sub in my car, I'd like to attach it in some way, but I'm not sure what the best route is.

What have the rest of you done for this?

2. BillyJackNCoke

BillyJackNCoke I've got something to say, I raped your mother tod

you could probabally bolt the box down with some L brackets. That's what we did in my friends cherokee. We just used some sheetmetal screws into the floor and bolts for the box with silicone on it.....I dunno if that did anything but thought it might seal it better

3. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

I tried the L braket thing and they just ripped up.... what I would do personally is drill a hole on the inside of the bottom or the box and thru the floor and bolt it down. Not only will that keep your box in place, but it will also be a good theft deterrant since they can't just rip up the box and go.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I have bolted down all of my boxes -- even the one I had in the TRUNK of my car. I used a variety of fastners, depending on what suited my needs best. For the bottom, a bolt through the bottom of the box is indeed a good choice. For the side, L brackets are okay. In one instance, we used some water heater strapping and hid it beneath the carpet.

5. DJ Quik

DJ Quik Vancouver 07/08 stanley cup champs!

Bolting it down is a good idea regardless... you'll lose any of the rattling sounds. Also if you photograph that its been bolted down, if it gets stolen you have proof that you had them and that you took steps to protect them for insurance reasons.

6. pholom

pholom New Member

tell me about it..i have 6x9s on my rear seats and i took a tune quick and they hit me in the foot giving me a fat bruise.

7. desertHABITAT

desertHABITAT New Member

sorry for the old bump, but i have to let you in on my little invention.

use the same latches that come on a Cj's hood. (the rubber staps with the ball on the end)

i fabricated a little mount for my 2 sub boxes and it worked great.