SUV drives into crowd, kills 2, injures 17, driver beaten

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by DefBringer, Dec 12, 2002.

1. DefBringer

DefBringer Guest

LADY LAKE, Fla. - A community holiday celebration was marred by tragedy after a man lost control of his sports utility vehicle and careened into a large group of revelers, killing two and injuring 17 others, police said.

Authorities said Sue Feely, 47, and Robert Dittmeyer, 73, were killed in the incident, which occurred Wednesday around 7:40 p.m. at the Winter Wonderland festival at The Villages.

Feely is from Georgia, according to authorities. Dittmeyer, who officials said pushed a 7-year-old boy out of the vehicle's way and to safety before being struck and killed himself, was from Lady Lake.

Alan Tomlinson, 54, was traveling west on Main Street when his vehicle hit Dittmeyer, who had been directing traffic, police said. Tomlinson's Jeep Cherokee then jumped a curb, went airborne, plowed into an exhibitor's tent and hit Feely, police said.

"She sustained injuries all over. She took the brunt of it," said Sumter County firefighter Paul Pumphrey, referring to Feely.

Tomlinson and his wife were traveling through the area and were from Georgia, authorities said. Their exact hometown was not available early Thursday.

At least four other people were airlifted to Orlando Regional Medical Center, one after being originally brought to The Villages Regional Hospital, officials said. Orlando Regional spokeswoman Betsy Loffredo said one patient, Carolyn Kozloski, 57, was listed in serious condition; two others, Norman Osprowski, 62, and his wife Margaret, 64, were stable with injuries which were not believed to be life-threatening.

Several other people were taken to other hospitals, including the 7-year-old, who authorities identified as Joseph Barnes. Their conditions were unavailable early Thursday. Others were treated at the scene and declined hospitalization, authorities said.

After his Jeep crashed into a tree, Tomlinson was pulled from his SUV by furious onlookers and beaten, police said, but the man apparently suffered only minor injuries, mostly bruises.

Tomlinson remained in Lady Lake police custody early Thursday, but it could not be immediately determined if he was facing any charges.

Lady Lake is 41 miles northwest of Orlando.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SUV owners :rolleyes:

2. BLoG

BLoG Scented Meat

A similar thing happened a few months ago, but they killed the driver, because he killed two kids in the crowd.

3. gLok

gLok Offshore Member OT Supporter

That guy is a FUCKING MORON. [/captain obvious]

4. Jim311

Jim311 New Member

Yea, nobody has EVER driven a CAR into a crowd of people. It being an SUV has nothing to do with it. Drive like a dumbass, and it won't matter WHAT you're driving.

And what the fuck... pulling him out of the car and beating the fuck out of him? Come on....

5. ZAQ786

ZAQ786 BMW: The reason Lexus is still 'In the pursuit of

MINOR injuries? they should have atleast broken his arm or leg?

6. Blackout

Blackout Like a ram getting ready to jam a lamb.

I'm sure you would change your mind if he killed some of your friends or family members.

No doubt I'd beat the shit outta him.

7. LegoManiac

LegoManiac Guest

They think he had a seizure. Sure as shit isn't a reason to beat the shit out of someone. But if he's epileptic he really should be driving anyway.

8. Jim311

Jim311 New Member

Ah, what's a seizure here and there.

I remember something like that happened around here not too long ago. Two guys in a van drove up onto the porch of somebody's house. It was in the ghetto, and something like 7 of these blacks guys ran up and beat the guys to death. Pretty fucked up.

9. PatrickB

PatrickB I bring you the pancake bunny!

What the hell did him driving an SUV have to do with anything? The story made it sound like it was the cars fault.

10. complex

complex Guest

:wtc::wtc::wtc:

11. complex

complex Guest

imagine yourself in that situation you dumbfuck

12. Agree - and why doesn't the article discuss "what caused" the accident on Tom's end? Was his sick, did he suffer a heart attack, Seizure or some other issue?

13. tolomei

tolomei Leaving Las *****-Vegas

How did the people that jumped him know that his brakes just didn't go out?

:wtf:

14. DefBringer

DefBringer Guest

Because if it was a smaller car that had less mass, it would have less chance killing 2 people and injuring SEVENTEEN OTHERS.

physics 101 people

btw, I don't give a shit if he had seizures or not.....if he has seizures he shouldn't be driving. Period.

15. SoKo

SoKo New Member

i said i was sorry

16. cdk-rod

cdk-rod Active Member

if it was me in that situation id make sure the people that were in the tent were okay, not going after the driver...

17. He may never have had a Seizure before - this could have been the first time. Who knows what the cause was - as far as the public and the newspaper is concerned he's just another idiot SUV driver. No one seems to care what the actual context was.

:down:

18. Jim311

Jim311 New Member

Yeah, because in EVERY accident I see, I automatically run up and jerk the person at fault out of there car and beat the hell out of them :rolleyes:

19. Wow if people are inherently evil, and self fish just like OT always says, then this guy really made a big mistake? What was he thinking being so selfless and heroic? That's not normal! I wonder what Dittmeyer got out of his "evil, self fish" attempt to protect the boy? :rolleyes:

20. AlkyHauler

AlkyHauler Do you feel lucky punk? OT Supporter

and on the phone...

21. tolomei

tolomei Leaving Las *****-Vegas

I'm glad you cleared up the physics for us.

BTW, the correlation of friction vs mass . . . ie

mass * acceleration - mass * mu(friction) . . . in other words a heavier vehicle may have stopped sooner than a lighter vehicle.

It's impossible to predict.

It still doesn't excuse people for beating some guys ass, when they have no idea what happened with the car or him. Last time I checked you couldn't predict your first stroke. :rolleyes:

22. Ichabod Crane

Ichabod Crane Active Member

look at the headline.... subliminal propaganda. "SUV Drives into....." The SUV didn't do shit, it's the driver's fault.

23. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

:mad:

We need to get these SUV's off the road so we stop having accidents.

24. Snowman

Snowman I know the Benzes. OT Supporter

Same thing happened in Chicago a couple of months back. These 2 people who rented a van were pulled out and beaten to death by a crowd of people. They lost control of the van and went onto the curb where they seriously injured on woman, and slightly injured two others.

About 20 people watched them beat those two men to death. Later on about 7 gang members ranging from 14 to 28 were brought into custody.

25. Jim311

Jim311 New Member

Hey now, I think we're jumping to conclusions guys.

Perhaps they went up to the car, asked the man what happened, and once they found out, they proceeded to beat him. I'm sure theres a logical explanation for it. :rolleyes: