Sustained high HR cardio?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by CappyStyles, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CappyStyles

CappyStyles New Member

Anything wrong with this? The eliptical said I was at like 195 BPM for 20 mins straight tonight. I never really see anyone else just about to die for that long. Like HIIT with no intervals. Is my heart just going to explode? :noes:

2. brocephus

brocephus i would unplug cooly's life support to charge my c

3. teep

teep New Member

how did you get your heart rate that high on an elliptical? you must have been blaaaazing

4. daballer2005

daballer2005 New Member

or be in terrible shape

5. CappyStyles

CappyStyles New Member

Yeah, it is pretty hard. I had 200 set as the 'target' so it was pretty much maxed out on resistance and incline, and I was attacking it like a fortified enemy bunker on a hilltop. :mamoru:

6. Ultimate_Ninja

Ultimate_Ninja New Member

Fuck, I'm in pretty good shape and want to die when I break 180. how the fuck do you do 200

7. el es dee

el es dee ...through a cloud of chalk and the midst of pain.

Set the elliptical to max resistance and tell me you cant get your heart rate that high.

8. xel

xel Active Member

according to research after 20 minutes of such cardio your body starts to release cortisol.

personally i sprint for as long as my body can keep up with me but i never go over 15 minutes.

i can find the article if you want.

9. Adom

Adom OT Supporter

is that bad?

10. Adom

Adom OT Supporter

i never really thought that heart rate monitor was correct. i'm usually at about 160-175 the whole time.

11. el es dee

Your body is always releasing cortisol.

12. el es dee

Cortisol is easily dealt with.

13. xel

xel Active Member

quit your fuckin yappin

In normal release, cortisol (like other glucocorticoid agents) has widespread actions which help restore homeostasis after stress. (These normal endogenous functions are the basis for the physiological consequences of chronic stress - prolonged cortisol secretion.). It has been proposed that its primary function is to inversely mobilize the immune system to fight potassium-depleting diarrhea diseases.[2]

Insulin
    Cortisol counteracts insulin by increasing gluconeogenesis and promotes breakdown of lipids (lipolysis), and proteins, and mobilization of extrahepatic amino acids and ketone bodies. This leads to increased circulating glucose concentrations (in the blood) by increasing gluconeogenesis. There is an increased glycogen breakdown in the liver.[3] Prolonged cortisol secretion causes hyperglycemia. The reason why in vivo experiments seem to deny this is that cortisone (a cortisol metabolite) greatly inhibits insulin. So the cortisone-cortisol equilibrium may explain why in vivo experiments contradict the cortisol effect.[4] Cortisol does cause serum glucose to rise, but this is probably an indirect effect caused by stimulation of amino acid degradation, especially that derived from collagen in the skin. In rats, loss of collagen from skin, caused by cortisol, is ten times greater than loss from any other tissue.[5]

Amino acids
    Cortisol raises the free amino acids in the serum. It does this by inhibiting collagen formation, decreasing amino acid uptake by muscle, and inhibiting protein synthesis.[6] Cortisol (as opticortinol) probably inversely inhibits IgA precursor cells in the intestines of calves.[7] Cortisol also inhibits IgA in serum, as it does IgM, but not IgE.[8]

14. xel

xel Active Member

read all of that, and then tell me that you would gladly accept more cortisol rather than less

15. xel

xel Active Member

16. xel

xel Active Member

another reason to take your fish caps

• Omega 3 fatty acids, in a dose dependent manner,[47] can lower cortisol release influenced by mental stress[48] by suppressing the synthesis of interleukin-1 and 6 and enhance the synthesis of interleukin-2, where the former promote higher CRH release. Omega 6 fatty acids, on the other hand, acts inversely on interleukin synthesis.[citation needed]

17. Adom

Adom OT Supporter

i read it all. but I guess I'm teh st00pid. didn't understand most of it :).

but your last post tells me it's bad!

18. xel

xel Active Member

so basically

cortisol starts this thing where it starts to break down your muscle in order to get energy.

thats not good at all.

especially since we work hard as fuck to get muscle in the first place. so you want to avoid cortisol at all costs. as much of it as you can.

after a lot of high intensity cardio your body produces cortisol so that it can break down your muscle in order to keep on going.

so i try and avoid that by stopping before 20 minutes. or lower/higher depending on your fitness level.

19. xel

xel Active Member

cortisol is natural and whatnot though, and is secreted when you dont have food in you which is why you should keep your blood sugar at a constant level.

also why you should eat when you wake up asap and something with carbs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.