Suspension question...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by InSaNiUm, Aug 27, 2001.

1. InSaNiUm

InSaNiUm Guest

Hey guys, I'm in the market for new shocks for my QX4. I was wondering if anyone knew of any guud shocks for less than $1G. I heard about the "RS 9000" or something like that which are adjustable as far as stiffness. Is there anything out there where I could adjust ride height as well as stiffness? Thanks alot!:bigthumb:

2. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Uhhh... nice wheels.

Are they good in off-road situations? :big grin:

Seriously, the RS 9000s are made by Rancho and have numerous manual valving adjustments. From all I've read they can be either too stiff, or way too soft. But they do have available interior switches to change the shock setting from the driver's seat instead of getting out with a tool.

Rancho also makes a shock called the RSX which is self adjusting, I'm not sure how popular it's been or how well it works, might be worth a look.

Edelbrock also makes a self adjusting shock that seems to work very well, it's called the Performer IAS and seems to control the ride of the vehicle very well without being harsh.

I have a Jeep Grand Wagoneer SUV with solid axles, when shock time came around I went with Monroe gas shocks. They actually work very well and have a nice warranty. I would have gotten the Sensa-Trac Monroe offers but they were not available for my vehicle.

3. InSaNiUm

InSaNiUm Guest

hmm, thanks duud:cool: ...I'd probably go with something not self-adjusting. This is actually one of the reasons why I want that kind of shocks, (to answer your question: "Are they good in off-road situations?"). I have my old stock rims with off-road tires on them, which I put on there whenever we go off-roading. So since I have a different set of wheels for the two conditions (street/off-road), I thought I might have different shock stiffness as well.:big grin:
    Anyway, thanks for your input wodi:bigthumb:

4. TriShield

Ahhh, sounds like some Rancho RS9000 shocks will be in your future then.

Nine different settings and your bound to like one of them.

:bigthumb:

5. www.belltech.com
    go for some bags :bigthumb:

dont go for springs, that sucks, you'd be stuck at one height till your ready to rip your cars suspension apart to get over a speed bump, trust me dood adjustable is the way to go, save up the little extra money or get a loan from the bank for a couple hundred dollaz even if your still young they'd let you if it's under 1000$ probably and if you pay it off good you'll get good credit and by time your older you'll already have good credit :cool:

6. InSaNiUm

InSaNiUm Guest

Thanks wodi, but what's this:

www.belltech.com
    go for some bags :bigthumb:

:confused: bags? globix? huh?

7. Sibs

Sibs FUCK THIS TEAM

I havent changed 'em yet... but some of the 4Runner guys run Bilstein Springs and Shocks, and are very happy... i dunno how they fair on Pathy's/QX4's

8. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

I have the Edlebrock IAS shocks and I love them. However for what you want I would have to recommend the Rancho RS9000.

9. TriShield

Hey Wolvrin704, how smooth and soft do the IAS shocks ride and how are they wearing?

10. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

They are better than the stock HD shocks that were on my truck. As for how they are wearing I can't say. I've only had them for a month. There are alot of F150 guys putting these on when their trucks have less than 20K miles and claim they ride better than the stock shocks. The 3 most popular in the F150 forum I frequent are Edlebrock, Rancho and Monroe.

11. oh shit, that is their old site, this is the new one http://www.belltechcorp.com/
    they have applications for all kinda cars. Just looked at the site, well.... glanced, and i didnt see anything about air bags :( so i guess they got outta that business.... :(

12. We_Todd

We_Todd I'm a naughty squirrel.

I would go IAS or Bilsteins. Got the Bilsteins 5100's on my Grand Cherokee and there's less body roll, smooths out bumps, and no more nose dive when braking.

Ranchos...errr...ummm...NO!

13. Iv got a whole list of good shocks, but since your running that pathetic "freeway fourwheeler" with fu*king rims that wouldnt handle one minute off road, im going to keep my mouth shut. Have fun with your "lifted maxima."

14. We_Todd

We_Todd I'm a naughty squirrel.

:bigthumb: :bigthumb:

15. Yeah "lifted maxima" was a good one wasnt it.