GUN Suspected burglar dies after 911 call mix-up

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Feb 28, 2008.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Suspected burglar dies after 911 call mix-up

Operator sent crews to wrong site after man fatally shot burglar
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...-911call_28met.ART.West.Edition1.45dc390.html
    12:00 AM CST on Thursday, February 28, 2008

By TANYA EISERER / The Dallas Morning News
    [email protected]

A Dallas 911 operator sent emergency crews across town to the wrong address early Wednesday after a homeowner's son fatally shot a suspected burglar.

"There was a misunderstanding between the caller and the call taker as far as what the name of the street was," said Lt. Joel Lavender, a Dallas Fire-Rescue spokesman.

The call came into the 911 call center, which is run by Dallas Fire-Rescue, about 6 a.m. Wednesday. The caller told the operator that there had been a shooting on Scotland Drive.

"The call taker heard 'Skyline,' " Lt. Lavender said. "The call taker repeated 'Skyline' back to the caller, and the caller said yes."

Emergency crews quickly arrived on scene in the 2200 block of Skyline Road near Mountain Creek Lake, but found no emergency.

About 6:13 a.m., another call came into 911, and emergency crews were dispatched to the right address in the 2200 block of Scotland Drive in east Oak Cliff. The suspected burglar, Gerald Foley, later died at a local hospital.

According to police, someone had thrown a rock through a bathroom window of the home about 9 p.m. Tuesday.

The next morning, Otis Fagan, 43, told police he had come to check on his father, also named Otis, when he noticed that the door to a detached storage shed had been shoved open, a police report said. He then saw a man inside the shed looking around with a flashlight, a police report said.

The suspected burglar fled, and Mr. Fagan chased after him and they began to fight, a police report said. Mr. Fagan, who has a concealed handgun carry license, told police that he shot the man because he feared for his life.

Police later recovered about $2,000 worth of hand tools that were taken during the burglary, a police report said.

Lt. Craig Miller, a homicide unit supervisor, said the elder Mr. Fagan told detectives that he's been having problems with thieves stealing from his shed.

Tonya Finn, the homeowner's daughter, said she was thankful her family was not hurt.

"It's sad you can't live with people," Ms. Finn said. "I'm glad my mom and dad are safe. There are a lot of shook-up emotions."

---

Sounds like a good shoot. Its a shame EMS couldn't get there in time :hsughno:

2. Burmonster

Burmonster OT Supporter

good for him

3. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

I see nothing wrong with it...

4. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

The only potential issue is that when the burglar fled, he chased after him. It's a fine line from when you turn from victim to aggressor. I hope him the best and glad his family is safe tho.

5. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

In Texas, you're allowed to pursue someone if they're immediately fleeing a crime.

6. 2L Bunny

Pursue, sure. Elevate the pursuit to a lethal force encounter? That's questionable.

In most everywhere else (can you hear the Texan's bitching now?) there are only certain circumstances you can elevate force on a fleeing felon.

7. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

[​IMG]

8. 2L Bunny

Excuse me for trying to send information out to the entire forum that doesn't live in Texas. Every time this issue comes up someone from Texas spouts off.

IMO my stuff isn't worth shooting someone over....Even if it's legal.

9. saxman

saxman Burninating the peasants

Entirely possible he persued, then the criminal pulled out a gun or something and it was the felon that elevated the pursuit to lethal force :dunno:

10. w1ndsurfer

w1ndsurfer Member

:wtc: Reason #whatever why I liked living in Texas. Oklahoma laws are close, though. Better than others, for sure.

11. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

The event happened in Texas... :dunno:

Dunno if I'd chase down a petty thief over relatively minor property myself.

12. 2L Bunny

That's what I'm getting at. Just cause I carry a gun, doesn't mean I want to use it all the time. I hope I NEVER use it. Replacing a few rakes and shit is a LOT cheaper than the legal fees, missed time off work, possible jail holding, and especially the MENTAL issues that arise from using deadly force on a human being.