GUN Suspect Holds Gun to Officers Throat - vid

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by islanderman7, Sep 9, 2006.

1. islanderman7

islanderman7 New Member

2. Gimik

Gimik New Member

wow. that's a lot of misses.

3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I imagine its remarkably difficult to hit a running man after you're all jacked up from having a gun held to your throat. Its why I've always been a little suspect from the guys that have to swing their massive .45 acp balls into every thread and boldly proclaim that if they can't do it with 8 rounds of .45 acp it was their time to go or some other related nonsense. The most consistent thing I hear from people who have been in gun fights is that your mag never seems big enough.

I see no problem with shooting at the man running away. He is still armed it appears and still very much a threat because of it.

4. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

What's to stop him from turning around and shooting from a distance? More importantly what's to stop him from doing the same thing again in the future.

I laugh at the 1911 guys that talk their shit, too. One of the reasons why I love 9mm is because of the capacity. The scariest thing about carrying my P3AT and nothing else is the idea that I'll need more than 7 rounds. Those little tiny magazines wouldn't be easy to change under stress.

5. Phantomlord

Phantomlord New Member

Woah, that person was incredibly lucky that he didn't get hit in that hail of bullets from the troopers.

6. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Do they train with onehanded shooting technique? I hate to monday morning qb, but my instinct is to always bring up the other hand, unless it's got something in it.

7. Artyboy

Even if I had something in my offhand I think that I'd drop it if I had to shoot my gun for any reason. It's just natural to use two hands.

8. Katsumoto

Katsumoto New Member

Normally yes, but that's for the instances where you are wounded in one arm or hand and don't have a choice. When you can use both hands, I don't see why you wouldn't. It's probably one of those OH SHIT! moments where you just react.

9. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I was going to post this exact thing, but I didn't want to piss anyone off because I'm not a cop and I'm a gun noob.

Also, he didn't reload.

10. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

I'm well aware of that. But EVERY time I draw my firearm, my support hand rises to meet it, without volition. It's not a matter of settling into stance, it's habit.

Or 13-14, which is what the officer fired.. neither is enough. So what's enough? I'm comfortable with 13, and 10 more in the Jeep. I'm not likely to be engaged in a protracted gunfight, so that's not what I train for.

11. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

thats some suck ass shooting

12. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I think (and I've also read) that the super high cap pistols that people carry really promote the spray and pray mentality. This video is a very good example.

13. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I think to some extent that the spray part is just human nature. Its easy to say "fire 2 shots then pause, make a cup of tea, have a crumpet, and reassess" but in reality I imagine you're far more likely to keep pulling the trigger as long as your attacker is still standing. If there's 8 shots in your mag, thats 9 chances to hit, if theres 16 shots in your mag, thats 17 chances to hit. I'm not sure that anyone is going to be inherently driven to be more accurate because they're carrying a lower capacity weapon. I like to think I'm a pretty calm guy, but I'm a pessimist and think theres a decent chance that in a panic sitation I would shoot an attacker to the ground or slide lock, whichever came first, without regard to round count.

14. Iceburn

Iceburn Made in the USA

Five Seven ftw 20 round mags

15. Romidgeo

Romidgeo New Member

pulling the trigger three times after the magazine is empty ftw

16. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

He called it a "clip." :o I'd imagine that'd be a pretty hard shot, too. It's dark and the guy is running away from you, plus your adrenaline rush.

17. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

If I was shot with a 5.7, and I found out about it, I'd be pissed.

18. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

You're not likely to get into a gunfight at all, but you still train for it. If you were likely to get into a gunfight, you'd carry a rifle, and bring friends with rifles. Do you not carry a spare magazine on your person? Do you not anticipate possible magazine issues? Of all the possible malfunctions in the world, the most common are magazine and ammo related. If you have a two problems in a row out of the same magazine, are you really going to just keep using that magazine? If you for some reason accidentally or purposely drop the magazine out of the weapon, or if a hands-on situation occurs and your magazine gets released unintentionally, you've got no way to reload if you break contact.

19. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I have to hope that training will play a part in that. Pulling the trigger as fast as you can does no one any good (and does some people a lot of bad - bystanders).

If your training goes right out the window the first time you have to use it, why train at all?

That said, I really need to train a lot more and better. Drawing and firing under pressure is something I have almost no practice with (it's not allowed where I go). I really need to get over my anxiety and get into some kind of club. :hs:

20. Artyboy

It's not allowed where I go, either. I got to know the guys that run the range, though, and now they let me practice rapid firing and drawing from my holster as long as no one else is there. I really want to get into IDPA and stuff like that but getting to the shoots is a pain in the ass. They're so few and far between and they're all at least an hour drive to get to them :wtc:.

21. Big Daddy

Big Daddy New Member

Probably would have hit him if he used both hands.. He wasnt holding a flashlight or anything with the other..

And yes, I dfo have massive .45 balls..:)

22. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

Just watched it again, the cop was holding his flashlight in his gun hand, big no no. When the guy stood up out of the car he had to switch hands to grab his gun, that second could have let him get a better shot. If you watch Cops you see people doing it all the time. I bet he never made the mistake again.