SuSE makes Fedora look like Win 3.1

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Peyomp, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Wow, I am just really impressed with SuSE. Having been out of teh engineering for a while, I had no cause to run Linux and I've always been a Redhat/Fedora guy. But as you know, Fedora sucks. So I was gonna snag Ubuntu, but wanted something with IBM/HP/Dell support for development of a system we is working on. So I tried SuSE 10 Eval. The install was polished. I am very impressed in general. Slapped Eclipse, MaxDB, etc. on there and its ready to go. Running it on a 2GHZ Celeron w/ 512MB ram and a 19" flatscreen. Its real nice.

One question though: is YaST (The SuSE package management) any good? Cause I installed the required lib for eterm by double clicking on the rpm I downloaded and it isn't detected as being present when I then try to install the eterm rpm, which fails because of dependancy issues. Is this going to happen alot, so I should just compile and manually install stuff, or is this an anomaly?

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Eh, SuSE is alright, but I'd still recommend trying Ubuntu. Once you use a distro with Debian package management, you can never go back. YaST is the best RPM-based package manager I've seen, but apt/dpkg are waaaaaay better. When I was using SuSE, I usually ended up compiling stuff myself.

3. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

ive always compiled my stuff no matter what distro, just habbit.

4. Penguin Man

I've got nothing against compiling things, but if I'm on a system with package management, I like to let the package manager take care of everything since then I don't have to worry about upgrading something and having other things break, etc.

5. CyberBullets

but that is 1/2 the fun!!!

6. Penguin Man

:rofl:

7. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I used to like compiling things when I was into system administration and medeling with every part of my system. Now I get off on building systems and operating at a higher level, tying hardware to a platform and building applications that sit atop them. So I get really frustrated if I have to spend all day chasing down dependencies and configuring them and waiting for them to compile. So I prefer to use package management, when I can.

8. coronet

coronet Do Andriods Dream of Electric Sheep?

I got SUSE 10 full on DVD from a Linux magzine (note to self: quit buying Linux magazines!), and I checked out the live CD. It didn't support my sound card, and a few other things that even Damn Small Linux had goin' out the box. Regardless, SUSE is pretty nice. I can see why people like it. Feature-packed out of the box, tons of options in the control panel, KDE (if that's your cup of tea) to the core... but it felt empty.

I don't know what it was. Maybe because they put so many things into the distro, it feels too bloated... KDE apps with GNOME apps felt odd, and the start-up time was lofty (for a live cd), and... I don't know. It felt like a crack-team of real nerds compiled it. No attention to detail and impression.

You haven't tried Debian or Ubuntu yet? Shit man, make a partition! I love it; and the community is always making me learn, do, and explore. Plenty of fun projects and such are posted.

9. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I just need a platform for development that works. I'll try Ubuntu next box I bring up. I am a Gnome guy, so I selected that on the install.

Its funny, but the attention to detail is what makes me like SuSE.

10. coronet

What are you using to develop? It's odd; the big thing holding programmers back from Linux (at least on OT) is the lack of .NET (which I'll admit is pretty amazing). But I mean, c'mon. It's programming. It has to be pretty big on Linux. Do you use something like EMacs or something else?

11. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

The system uses C++ and Java, although there is actually a little .NET but that is seperate and I won't touch that. I am proficient in Perl, Tcl/Tk, C and Java, and I feel bad for not knowing Python because all the cool kids do. But lately I only get things done in Java, with SWT/JFace for GUIs.

I use Eclipse, the best integrated development environment ever made. It runs well on Linux, OS X and Windows, using those native widgets provided by SWT/JFace. So it doesn't look and feel like a "Java app" (Swing).

I will never learn a .NET language.

We choose Linux because it is the best way to accomplish what we are trying to accomplish. That its free is nice too. That its what we know is the main reason. Although actually, we'll be paying about as much as windows costs for support on every system we deploy, from SuSE I guess.

12. Grelmar

Grelmar New Member

I've mucked with Red Hate and Fedora a couple of times, and never been impressed. I gave up on SuSE a couple of years ago, which is prolly unfair, because I've heard it's improved immensely in the meantime.

But Ubuntu.... now THERE is a pretty linux distro. Very clear, easy install. A bit annoying install on certain laptops more than 2 years old (note: if the install hangs at detect CD ATAPI, on boot, just - "boot: linux acpi=off" and it should go through clear.)

The 5.1 distro is nice. Detects Wi-Fi well, no problems with USB devices that I've noticed (yet), and a really enthusiastic community around it at the moment, which is what really makes a Linux distro humm.

It's even possible to turn it into a "ready for consumer desktop" OS, with full support of virtually every media format going. (google "Ubuntu activate the multiverse/Universe" - then go here and get the latest version of automatix, and just check off any media formats you want - be sure not to check any proprietary formats. Wouldn't want to violate the DMCA ;)

There are plenty of other people out there tweaking Ubuntu right now, which saves having to re-invent the wheel if you just want to set the OS up quickly and get down to just working.

Downside to Ubuntu: Security issues with having the default login being Admin as soon as you type in "sudo" at the command line. It will prompt for password, but I wonder at the wisdom of making it too easy to become Admin.

Upside to Ubuntu: fairly painless process to turn it into a "consumer friendly" OS. I've packed off a half dozen discount rebuild machines with it, after installing all the various media codecs and JRE and Flash compatability and whatnot, and had a half dozen very happy responses from it.

13. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

With SuSE 10 Eval... I didn't have to do Java or flash installs. All that is already done for me.

14. Penguin Man

Actually, since the root account is disabled by default, it's more secure than other distros in a way. You have to use sudo instead of just logging in as root, which has some inherent dangers. Of course, sudo su will still get you root access.

There is a nice little script called Automatix (formerly EasyUbuntu) which will install things like codecs, java and flash for you. It turns a default Ubuntu install into a fully-functional desktop very nicely.

15. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I still had to edit smb.conf and go to the command line to get samba working. That is unacceptable.

Does Ubuntu have GUI Samba setup, and why is it so fucking hard for a linux distribution to have a Samba GUI for setup after 15 fucking years?

16. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I can't keep an SMB connection up long enough to copy a 250 meg file from my iBook. I think its a Mac problem. Apple SMB support is pathetic. Apple makes me wanna poop half digested, half cooked beans.

17. skelm

skelm New Member

Because that would be easier :p

18. Penguin Man

I seem to remember Ubuntu having a GUI Samba setup. I haven't used it in so long that I don't really remember though.

19. coronet

Yes? No? :dunno:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not quite too sure what all these are, and how they are relevant. They are as simple as checking them off and clicking 'Apply', or in the terminal typing 'sudo apt-get packagename'.

20. CyberBullets

CLI > GUI

Fuck lazy ppl who cant edit and understand their smb.conf when their gui is broken and are unable to work on anything.

21. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Totally foolish. A GUI is quicker than fucking with a file. I had to go to the CLI, and it took longer than the two clicks it should have taken. I have better things to do than fuck around getting Samba to work. Its this kind of eliteism that keeps Linux the suck.

22. CyberBullets

no, that is foolish. CLI > GUI.

Code:
    vi /etc/smb.conf

*do my search*
    /shared

<esc>i
    *make change*
    <esc>:wq

service smb restart

done and done. its ALWAYS better to know the inner workings then rely on gui. unless you are an MSCE person, or some fuctard (like yourself in this case)

23. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

FYI: SuSE stopped working completely. It has developed problems with my Apple USB mouse, when I added a Wacom art pad. Once I rebooted, the mouse stopped working. Also the keyboard only works in X intermittently now. I uninstalled the Wacom, and now the mouse doesn't work.

Have to buy a different mouse and see if that works consistently? It was fine until I rebooted. Now X throws errors and it won't even boot to X sometimes.

This is what I'm talking about with desktop Linux still sucking. I have better things to do than fuck with this shit. I need to be reading, and outputting actual work. Now I have to pull my work off the SuSE PC onto my ibook and do it in OS X, which actually works.

I'll try Ubuntu and see how that is.

24. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I'm not some 15 year old punk (you, give or take a few years) that gets off on fucking with text files and compiling things all day. I have work to get done.

25. CyberBullets

few years? rofl, try 8 asshat.

i have work to get done as well, but my scripts are probably 100x faster then you clicky clicky on your server to get shit done.