SuSe Linux 9.1 --> 9.2

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by coronet, Nov 16, 2004.

1. coronet

coronet Do Andriods Dream of Electric Sheep?

Is this a free upgrade? I'm seeing a new copy of 9.1 for $5 :eek3:

But the lowest I can get 9.2 is $85 :ugh:

Umm... any other suggestions?

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

The net installer should be out in a bit, it's usually realeased a little while after the packaged version. Once it's released onto the FTP servers, you can upgrade free of charge.

3. coronet

So buy 9.1 for $5, upgrade for free sometime later?

BTW - I'm dedicating my new HD to Windows; reformat this current one and put Suse on it. Will I not have any problems with two diffrent OSes on 2 diffrent HDs? Is there just, like, a selection screen on start up or something?

4. Penguin Man

Just install Windows first, then SuSE and you won't have a problem. SuSE will detect the Windows drive and setup a bootloader so you can choose.

Don't buy SuSE, download the net installer from ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/9.1/boot/, burn it to CD (it's the boot.iso file), boot up and you're set. Why pay for a free OS? :)

5. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

yes yes, make sure you have windows installed first. Linux (SuSE in particular) does a great job of recognizing that you have already an OS installed, and will set it up automatically in the boot loader. Windows will not, and you'll have a hard time fighting with the boot.ini

6. Sloshua

Sloshua New Member

Is that the Professional version?

7. Penguin Man

:dunno: There's no difference between pro and personal except for the colors AFAIK.

Edit: On second thought, I think the difference is which packages they come with, so since this is the net installer and it downloads all its packages, it's the same as the pro version I guess.

8. coronet

Alright cool, I'll get on it as soon as I reformat, which will be a while :o

Thanks!

9. Penguin Man

No problem, I'm always happy to help people try Linux. If you want something that is not quite as easy as SuSE (although still pretty easy), but has a far more elegant installer and package manager, you should check out Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntulinux.org). It's what I'm using these days and it's an excellent distro.

10. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

Makes me wanna try it... been busy lately

11. Muchacho_Gasolino

Muchacho_Gasolino New Member

I thought pro came with 64 bit support and personal didnt
    at least for 9.1 maybe that is different now

12. Penguin Man

You can get a 64-bit version of the download one :dunno:

13. skooter

skooter Guest

I have also made the switch to Ubuntu from Suse, i am very pleased :)

14. coronet

15. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

SUSE live-eval is garbage, it boots from the CD-ROM, and is not presistant.

The Personal is crap if you are power user that either compiles binary/kernel. No GCC on it.

The Pro version you have to do an FTP install, it's a bit cryptic... you boot from the CD, and get the rest of the file from a FTP/HTTP server.

16. Penguin Man

Hit up the link I posted above (ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/9.1/boot/, assuming you're not running a 64-bit system, in which case you want ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/x86_64/9.1/boot/ I think) and download the boot.iso file. It's a net installer, so you'll have to configure your network card first, then tell it a SuSE mirror to connect to (be sure to write down a few, including the path to the directory as some might not work too well), and then it'll go into the nice graphical installer.

If you don't want to do a net install, download Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntulinux.org). It's about a 600MB download, but once you have the one CD, it's all you need to install. It's not a graphical installer persay, but it is very friendly and hardly takes any time at all to get you into a booted, working GUI.

17. coronet

Gah, so ubunto is the same interace with a prettier look? I couldn't find much that was a bunch of linux talk... suse and ubunto are based off of gnome... but have diffrent stuff to them. Umm... what are diffrences between ubun and suse?

18. Penguin Man

SuSE uses KDE as its default WM, Ubuntu uses Gnome as its default. You can use either on both though.

Linux is just a kernel. Each distribution packages different pieces of software with the kernel to make an effective, usable operating system. The basic things will be the same on every distro - gcc, emacs, X, etc. However, they'll come with different graphical admin tools that are written by the producers of the distro to make configuration friendly and they may come with some different auxilliary packages that you can install. So, SuSE has the YaST config tool and Ubuntu has a bunch of different config tools for different things (Synaptic package manager, hal device manager, etc). Ubuntu and SuSE have basically the same software available for them through their package managers, although I've found that the versions available for Ubuntu through Synaptic tend to be newer than the versions availalbe for SuSE through YaST.

Generally, Ubuntu and SuSE are pretty similar, but the installers are quite different. SuSE has a graphical installer, which is friendly but it takes quite a few steps to install and takes a lot of time installing packages (just over an hour probably if you're installing from CDs and way more if you're doing a net install). Ubuntu's installer isn't graphical (well, it's sort of graphical, but there's no mouse), however it has far fewer steps and it only installs the very base packages needed to boot the system into a usable desktop environment (Gnome) off the CD, then lets you take care of installing whatever else you want through Synaptic. With Ubuntu, you'll be in a very nice GUI in under an hour, but you'll probably have to install a few more things once it's booted. With SuSE it takes about 3 hours to do an average install off the CD (more for net install), but it installs just about everything you'd ever want before you boot up for the first time.

As for Gnome vs. KDE, like I said, you can use either on either system, but it's easier to use Gnome on Ubuntu and easier to use KDE on SuSE. Personally, I prefer Gnome (although I use FVWM these days), but it's entirely personal preference, everyone has their own tastes. I'd recommend installing Ubuntu, then adding KDE to it and trying both out (or installing SuSE, adding Gnome to it and trying both out if you like) before deciding that Gnome is suprerior ;)

19. coronet

Alright, then. I'll try ubuntu. Later I guess I can try suse and the rest :cool"

Link to that torrent of the iso you were talking about sooner? The one going ~200KBp/s?

20. Muchacho_Gasolino

Muchacho_Gasolino New Member

Fedora is pretty nice too
    its for noobs or so ive heard
    but that describes me pretty accurately and i felt like trying something different other than the suse 9.1 personaI had and so i downloaded it, burned it on a dvd and installed
    there are a couple things i really like about it
    #1 it comes with gnome instead of KDE and i dont know if this is a part of that but when you up the resolution, the screen actually gets bigger, instead of you having to mess with the text sizes and icon sizes to get more land
    #2 It comes with gaim, firefox, and evolution, pretty much the best IM program, browser, and mail program availible for linux
    #3 64 bit woot
    #4 OpenOffice is a lot prettier on it for some reason
    #5 I enjoy using Up2Date online updater and the red hat package manager way more than YOU and YaST

There are some things I don't like though
    The only one i can really think of right now is so far i have not been able to get the browser to see the computers on my windows network, it does connect to the internet fine though

I think most of these things are just good for noobs though because anybody can change all those things so suse is like that I just don't have quite the experience to do them I found myself running into other problems that I could have fixed but I would have to look those up too when i was trying to fix problems

21. Penguin Man

Torrent linky :)

I haven't actually tried Fedora, but it does look like a pretty decent distro for new users. The fact that it doesn't see the computers on your Windows network probably means that it doesn't have Samba installed, or it isn't running/configured properly. I would imagine there's a control panel for that somewhere in there :dunno:

22. LilMoh

LilMoh When am I ever going to cook Tira Mi Su? Am I goin

Ok, there is like 10 links here, which one is the official download for Linux?

23. Penguin Man

Which link are you looking at? For SuSE, you need to find the boot.iso file in the directory that matches your architechture. For Ubuntu, you need to find the warty-release-....iso or ....iso.torrent file that matches your architechture and desired method of download (FTP, Torrent, Jigdo). If you're running a P4 or an Athlon XP, your architechture is i386. If you're running an Athlon64, your architechture is amd64.

24. coronet

By the way, I downed two torrents, the official one, and the clone copy on suprnova (same guy, warty). Teh suprnova one was about 10 minutes faster.

25. coronet

Whoah, I so just unintentionally spelled 'the' like 'teh' :eek3: