SuSE Install - I'm impressed!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Astro, Sep 13, 2003.

1. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I'm not a Linux expert. I've installed RH and Mandrake before. But tonight I installed SuSE SPARC edition on my Sun E250. Wow. The Yast installer rocks.

The E250 is headless (no video card) so I had to use a 9600bps serial connection to do the install (which was a first for me). Yast actually looked nice for being a text display. It was nice and easy. There was probably a communications issue which caused it to upchuck once, but otherwise it was easy to navigate and find all the packages I wanted installed.

Once everything was installed, I went back and ran the Yast config tool. I was really bummed when it came up in a funky emulation that HyperTerminal and Telix couldn't figure out. Then I switched over to an SSH client and ran it from there and it was awesome. I'm really impressed.

I think it only took me about 3 hours to do the install and config: Apache, Samba (including shares and users), a user or two, and network settings. That was one of the fastest Linux installs I've ever done before (typically I need to set aside a weekend to install and config).

The installer itself has me sold... If any of you haven't played with SuSE yet, give it a whirl.

2. MP

MP New Member

SuSe has definitly come a long way. (in a good way). Don't really have a specific use for it though.

3. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

IB Digital and I say we told you so

:cool:

4. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

we told you so

5. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

6. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

I want that box :eek3:

7. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

:cool: computer. I'm thinking I'll go either Debian or SuSe on my new machine... I'm kinda leaning towards Debian since the download version of SuSe seems a little lacking and I like the idea of not downloading 3 CD's before I install.