Surround Sound hookup question..

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 4bangin, Jan 15, 2002.

1. 4bangin

4bangin Ballet of Violence

My friend got surround sound hooked up in his bedroom, but he says the subwoofer doesnt work. All of the others are fine, but you can't hear the sub at all. ANyone know what the problem might be? Thanks

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Assuming the receiver has a subwoofer output, it may be necessary to set that up on it. I know my sony reciever has to be set to "subwoofer ON". It doesn't automatically recognize that a sub is hooked up.

3. JimboJones

JimboJones Guest

Yup, I have the same thing on my Kenwood, so that is the first place I would check.

4. CLTypeS

CLTypeS Guest

Sub is a powered sub I assume? Because most receivers do not have powered sub channels. Just something else to check.

5. 4bangin

There is a sub output on the reciever, but no inputs on the sub. It is a Kenwood surround sound. The subwoofer is ON, it is just very low. Since there arent any input I dont understand how to hook it up to get more power to it. I'm not good at this kind of thing :(

6. CLTypeS

CLTypeS Guest

So there's an on/off button on the sub? If so the sub should be a powered sub. I know you probably already looked but for powered subs you should be able to find a single input for it somewhere. Just a single RCA type input to connect to the receiver. Somewhere on the bottom and in back maybe?

7. 4bangin

No on/off switch. The sub plays, just not loud. You have to really crank it to hear it. But if you put your ear up to it or your hand on it you can feel it play. There are no inputs on the back :( I followed the wire diagram to a T..and it still sounds shitty :(

Thanks for trying to help me though :) I appreciate it

8. CLTypeS

CLTypeS Guest

Oh I see. You already can get a signal played. Well then, can you adjust the LFE level or sub level from your receiver? It's like a volume adjustment just for the sub or individual speakers. If not to get it to sound louder you could corner load it. It'll make boomier bass but you could get more impact by putting a sub in the corner. Just some things to try.