Surround Sound/HDMI Questions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by GammaRadiation, May 2, 2009.

1. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

Since I finally moved into a real apt with a real living room I finally get to do my own HT set up.
    :bowdown:

I am a rather poor college student so I'm going to be re-using stuff I already have and scrounging through thrift stores and craigslist as much as possible.

I have a 42" Toshiba Plasma (Mad lag on video games :wtc:).

I'll be using a multimedia PC as the DVD player with either VGA or DVI output (not worrying about HD movies except HBO just yet).

For the surround sound, do I need to have the same receiver/amp for all 5 speakers? Better said, should I use the same receiver/amp for all 5 channels. I ask because I've got 2 stereo receivers with build in amps. One I normally use with my multimedia PC for music, the other is just sitting around. I may have to go with 4.1 instead of 5.1 because I dont know how I could have a center channel. My main concern is delays between the front and rear speakers.

My other question is HDMI. I've yet to check, but if my TV doesn't have an audio out, how can I get the audio out of an HDMI signal so I dont have to use the crappy speakers that came on the TV. I'd also like to be able to dub the music channels that came with the apt onto my multimedia PC.

Also, if anyone knows of an IDE bluray drive can you point me to it :x: linux has opened my eyes up to a whole knew world of pirating. :nono:

2. zatotheck

zatotheck New Member

To answer your first question: Using two separate receivers/amps should not be a problem. I highly doubt there will be any delay or anything of that nature.
    On the HDMI issue: Some tv's do not pass an audio signal through HDMI....so its case by case. But you said you're getting music channel so I'd assume you have a cabel box.....which does have RCA audio out.

3. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

Only problem I see with having 2 seperate receivers is you will have 2 volumes to control independently. If you can save up $250-300 you can get into an entry level Denon receiver or similar that is 7.1 which might make your life a bit easier. I know how it is being a poor college kid but sometimes its not worth the hassel to rig a bunch of stuff together.

4. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

Volume will be controlled by the PC. :)

If I can get the money I'll get a real receiver I will. Right now I'm in the middle of getting the ball joints replaced on my truck and paying insurance.

5. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

Ahh yea I guess that would work too :big grin: