MIL Surplus handguns?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by G_G_L, Oct 31, 2006.

1. G_G_L

G_G_L Vote Nixon

Hi guys, I don't post here too often, but I think you guys might help me. I'm dying to own a gun, and my two favs are the usp and 1911. Both of which I can find for no more than $1,000, which is fine, but I cannot afford that right now.
    Basically, I was just wondering if the gov't sells surplus 1911's, and if they do, where can I find em?

Thanks guys.

2. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

no. VERY few military units use 1911's anymore. You should also know that all gun sales goes through an FFL -- check in the gun forums.

since the 80's its been the Beretta 92FS aka M9.

If you can't find a 1911 for less than $1000 you're looking at kimbers or something. Mil-Spec Springfield 1911's are about $450-500 at any gun store.

3. Pump Scout

Pump Scout New Member

I specifically asked, as did many in my platoon, to be put on a surplus list for purchases of our 1911's when we transitioned to the M9. In 1996. We must have been one of the last of any unit to be forced to give up our .45's outside those folks who have choices about their tools. We were told that the government would rather saw them in half, melt them down, and turn them into razor blades than sell them to us untrustworthy soldier-types. :rolleyes: