SRS Surgery & Death

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by MissKitty, Feb 19, 2010.

1. MissKitty

MissKitty If squats were easy they'd be called 'Your Mum' OT Supporter

How many times have you been put under general?
    I have been put under once. Got wisdom teeth removed and this was between having my first child and second child. Didn't think anything of it to be honest. Just went in and had it done.
    On waking up I realised between being put under and waking up there was absolutely no awareness. Scared the hell out of me. It was like no time passed. If something had happened to me I wouldn't have been aware of it and I would have just gone to sleep and bye bye me.

Now I need to have another surgery. Being put under general again and I am shitting myself. I now have three children and the thought of never coming out of GA makes me want to cry.

I know odds wise it is safer for me to have the surgery than hop in my car each day, but I just can't shake the fear.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I've been under general anesthesia three times, all for dental surgery. It bothered me a bit, I was nervous, but I calmed down as soon as the anesthetic hit my chest. Woke up a few hours later with a bad hangover and a literal case of cottonmouth. Thought nothing of it.

So there's two issues that are bothering you: one, you fear a loss of control, and two, you have obligations now. It makes perfect sense that you'd be concerned about the potential to die in your sleep, but you face that every single night. When you "get tired" at night, it's not just physical exhaustion -- your brain is doping itself with anesthetic to knock you out so you stop moving. It's such an incredibly routine thing for your body to deal with, it really isn't worth worrying about.

Besides, there's a reason the anesthesiologist is the most highly-paid person in the room; if a surgeon nicks a blood vessel, he can stitch it up real quick, no harm done, but if the anesthesiologist gives you too much dope, your heart stops. It's not a job you get without really really REALLY knowing what the hell you're doing.

As far as the loss of control is concerned, the only way past that is to remember that you'll be the star of the show, with the attention of a half-dozen professionals whose sole purpose in life until you leave the hospital is to make sure you leave healthier than you arrived. That's a hell of a safety net.

3. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Its normal to be nervous before having an operation, and its something you'll never get used to it, the best thing to do before the operation is just to play some videogames to get your mind off the whole thing. You'll have to leave this in the hand of the experts. Its pointless to worry about things in life that you do not have control of, we worry nevertheless, so the best thing is chewing gum, and videogames for a short period to distract your mind.

4. Mr J

Mr J New Member

I've had general 3-4 times and local about 6 times. More than my fair share of surgery.

Modern medicine is great. You'll barely even realise you've been asleep when you wake up in the ward, a bit confused. You'll also have the relevant pain relief so it's seriously not that bad. Even when they opened my chest up and operated on me for 7 hours I didn't feel any pain afterwards. IT was only when I got home and didn't have morphine anymore that I had a bit of discomfort and pain

I wasn't overly worried any time I had surgery tbh. Once you're under that's it - the build up is just unnecessary stress.

5. thatguyjeff

thatguyjeff New Member

I'm surprised folks are actually put under "general" anesthesia for oral surgery.

This will probably frighten the OP even more, sorry...

True general anesthesia is where they shut off your nervous system. You're effectively dead on the table, with the machines keeping you alive. When they're done, they give you another drug to wake up your nervous system again.

There are varying degrees of this, where a section of your nervous system is disabled, if not entirely, or whatever.

I do understand that once someone has successfully undergone general anesthesia once, the chances of there being any problems with going under again are remarkably rare - in the absence of any other health conditions or risk factors.

6. tan koi

tan koi Guest

I've been put under twice with general anesthesia and the only part I hate is coming out of it. You're loopy, dizzy, and generally nauseous. Just remember that it's a cake-walk after that.

:werd:, I went under twilight anesthesia for the removal of four impacted wisdom teeth and it was awesome. There was no post-operative nausea at all.

7. Sookie

Sookie New Member

3 times I believe, and they all were for open heat surgeries.

8. oakback

oakback New Member

I was under twilight twice, no sweat. Don't remember much of the rest of the day. Once for wisdom teeth, once for wrist surgery.

I can see how you're scared of general, though. I was under for 6+ hours for surgery last November, breathing tube through my nose for jaw surgery. When I "woke up" (sort of), I was in a semi-conscious state, in a dark recovery room with at least one other patient (it was like a dream at this point). I felt like all I wanted to do was sleep, but every time I closed my eyes, I would hear this loud beeping noise. That was a machine indicating that I stopped breathing. A nurse would simply yell from across the room, "BREATHE!" and I would wake up and breathe. I felt helpless at the time, but it's kind of humorous in retrospect, she shouted it in the same manner a wife would remind her husband to "GET YOUR FEET OFF THE COFFEE TABLE!" A few hours later all the effects wore off, I was fine and they wheeled me off to my room.

But I take comfort in knowing that anesthesiologists are freakin' amazing, and during the surgery I was surrounded by people who are all very well trained on saving lives in the quickest way possible. I have a friend who had a full body tuck, he was under for 12 hours, and he says it was no sweat for him.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  9. reminisce

reminisce OT Supporter

been put under at least 4 times. never thought twice about it.

i know it's a scary feeling, but you gotta look at the odds for the true picture. according to this paper the mortality rate has fallen to 5-6 deaths per million procedures, and most result from pre-existing conditions or the surgery itself.

http://expertpages.com/news/mortality_anesthesia.htm

10. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

I've been put under once when I was getting a wisdom tooth pulled. Not exactly sure why they put me under that time and not the others. I think my teeth may have been impacted. Not too sure.

I had a similar experience. It was as if no time had passed at all. But I remember waking up during the procedure with the doctor telling me to "take deep breathes".

I wasn't scared or didn't mind otherwise though. :dunno:

11. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

i've been under twilight once (for wisdom teeth) and general twice for abdominal surgery.

never really thought about death or the complications from it. all 3 were successful surgeries. i have faith in the doctors, and hope for the best

12. 7960

7960 New Member

that's because women are irrational.

13. American SuperBeast

American SuperBeast New Member

I've been put under for surgery on my neck. I was worried at first but the nice thing is that when you go under, you don't worry about it anymore.

14. oakback

oakback New Member

I found that I stopped worrying a little sooner, when they gave me a shot of that fabulous Valium cocktail in surgery prep. Freakin' awesome stuff.

15. erynne936

erynne936 my av is a car, but i'm a girl. stop calling me b OT Supporter

I have been put under general anesthetic at least 6 times, the first times being when I was a little kid, for tubes in my ears. I never worry about it. I actually prefer it and think it is the coolest thing ever, that you can go through a surgery and not have to be aware of whats going on (I am a very anxious person when it comes to medical stuff). Maybe it never occurred to me to be scared about it because I was put under a couple of times when I was quite young, in elementary school.

My husband on the other hand has never been put under and he is terrified of it, that he won't wake up. So maybe it has to do with past experience with it, especially as a young child?

I had twilight for my wisdom teeth removal and that was cool too, didn't remember a thing.

16. calisteph6

calisteph6 Active Member

:ugh:

I've known guys afraid of things in an irrational manner...my old roomie (mal) was afraid of spiders. :rofl: Fear is not sexist.

17. Kev07

Kev07 New Member

i stayed awake for my wisdom teeth, but i got put under for surgery on my finger

i remember waking up feeling exactly what you described, except i thought it was really cool.

gota remember that anestheticians (sp?) have a lot of educational background and i'm sure liscencing too, not to mention they get paid well over $100k iirc.

18. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I think it's natural and normal to be afraid of missing out on our kids lives. I think every parent goes through this but there are different triggers for everyone. Yours just happens to be in relation to this surgery but for others it's as simple as flying where they picture the plane falling from the sky in a fireball.

Fears are common and many people think, "If I have fear, then something is wrong and I should not take any action until the fear is gone." There are times when I agree with this but the vast majority of the time, fear must simply be ignored.

19. MissKitty

Well I survived. It was difficult to keep a strong outlook for my kids because I couldn't promise it would all be okay. It got to a point where I just had to accept it. I didn't shed any tears though , go me :) my husband and best friend wouldn't let me talk about things going bad, which helped, but I still felt if something were to have gone wrong I couldn't say goodbyes

20. American SuperBeast

American SuperBeast New Member

Well congratulations for making it through fine. I can imagine how that must have been with kids and married. Either way though, ya made it through :wiggle:

21. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Congrats....hope you have a quick recovery.

22. 7960

7960 New Member

yes you could, and you should have. that's your job...to reassure your kids that you'll wake up from the surgery and hug them that night.

the melodrama is strong in this one :o

23. MissKitty

Your attempt to shit on me at any change you get grows tiring.
    You may find your role in life to lie to your children and hide them from reality, but I don't. You may not give a shit and not seize the moment to tell people you care, but I do.

The thought of never waking up you call melodramatic, I call reality.

24. 7960

7960 New Member

of course I tell my kids I love them and I care about them, but it's also my job to reassure them and not instill paranoid fears in them by making them think I won't wake up from surgery. you already said it, it's safer to have surgery than drive your car...........do you hug them hold them and let them know "there's a chance mommy won't come back" every time you drive away? or do you tell them you'll be home in a little while?

your fear of the surgery was irrational. it was your job, as your kids' protector, to make sure you don't pass that irrational fear onto them, NOT to plant the seed that "hospitals kill people."

you had more of a chance of dying during your second childbirth than you did from dying during surgery. did you kiss your firstborn goodbye forever when you went in for the 2nd?

25. MissKitty

Oh good god. Let it go. I don't hate hospitals :rolleyes: