Surfing with Wireless Pre-N

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by XtremelyCanadian, Feb 15, 2006.

1. XtremelyCanadian

XtremelyCanadian I play hockey.....EH

Got the new Belkin Wireless Pre-N Router ($130) today with a PC Card ($100).

Leaps and bounds over my previous Wireless-B, i can get used to surfing at 108mbps :bigthumb:

2. StevesVR4

StevesVR4 Get Arrested

Considering my cable Internet connection can't even come close to the speeds of my wireless G network, pre-N stuff doesn't really matter much to me. :noes:

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

How's the N range compare? That's the biggest problem I see with wifi. They tell you 150' or some bullshit like that but in reality you're lucky to get a signal through a couple of hollow interior walls before it freaks out and starts leghumping your neighbor's unprotected network instead of connecting to your own.

4. XtremelyCanadian

Way better than b or g. I had the same problems before with disconnecting and sometimes picking up my neighbors wireless connection instead. The pre-n is at 100% signal all over our 2000 sq. foot 2 story house. Haven't had any problems yet even going through a floor and a couple walls, always seems to stick at 100%.

5. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Very cool. I heard that 802.11n was recently made official. I can't wait until there's offical N stuff on the market so I can finally feel good about installing wifi knowing its actually going to work and keep working.

6. XtremelyCanadian

Really ?? Link ??

All the stuff i read has said that it is not approved yet as standard and therefore is not recommended for business applications. Home use is a different thing, it is backwards compatible with b and g, so i think it is pretty safe for home usage for now.