GUN Surefire Question

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Accord, May 2, 2006.

1. Accord

Accord New Member

I want a Surefire LED flashlight for everyday carry.

I've narrowed it down to either the L1, L2, or L4. The L2 seems to be the best performing one out of these three, but at 6.10 inches is it too long for an everyday carry flashlight?

The L1, while small seems to be underpowered compared to the L2 and L4, but the L4 only has 1 hour on high output and 1.5 hours on useful output. The L2 is the most powerful and has the longest battery life, but it's also longer than the L1 and L4.

Obviously the L2 is the best flashlight of the ones I listed, but at 6.10 inches long is it too big for concealed everyday carry?

2. Accord

Accord New Member

Also, where is the cheapest place to buy Surefire's?

3. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

Thought I'd throw out another option if you're interested, you could always buy an E1 or E2 and a KL3 Conversion. Would probably be a bit smaller and maybe even save you some money. Plus you could always upgrade to the KL4 conversion, or go back to the incandescent assembly if you wanted. Or skip the hassle and just buy an E1L or E2L.

4. Accord

Accord New Member

Thanks for the idea, I never even thought of that :cool:.

I just looked and they're only 25 lumens though, compared to the 100 lumens of the L2 :hs:.

5. PUREVIL

PUREVIL More Money Than Brains Croo

I found the best deals are off of gun specific forums in the used sections. Do you care if its used?

6. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

I loved my L2 for it's 15 lumens, not it's 100 lumens. :hs: It is long, but not unbearably so. If you want compact, look at the E1L, L1, or E2L. I found I would grab my L2 more than my A2 because the A2, while a perfect size, is set on sort of "too little light/too much light", whereas the L2's settings are "plenty of light/plenty more light".

I found for most common tasks in the dark, the 15 lumen setting was plenty of light, and since it made the batteries last 4hrs+, it was a great combo. I think something small that puts out 20-30 lumens with a really long life would be more handy for a pocket light than something too big to comfortably carry.

7. Accord

Accord New Member

In your opinion, is the L2 too large to carry concealed on a daily basis?

8. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

www.opticshq.com has pretty good prices iirc. Myself I'm working on saving for a L4, along with a Mcgizmo mcE2S 2 stage switch. I have the switch conversion on the way, just now need to buy the light :)

Effectively this will give L2 like outputs, without the added length of an L2. But the low won't be regulated.

9. gtcrispy

gtcrispy New Member

Accord, hit up ar15.com and talk to bright flashlights. He is in the vendor forum.

10. Accord

Accord New Member

Thanks

11. kellyclan

I would tuck mine in the back pocket of my jeans, the head sticks out, it fits just fine in there. As long as you're comfortable sitting with it there (I am), that negates the length. I found it was too long for me to practically carry it in any other pocket or in a belt pouch.

In short, I would say it is not too large, but the smaller models would allow more options.

You might also consider a Nuwai Q3. About the same size as the L4 with a two stage switch, and cheap enough where you don't feel bad if it's not for you. I haven't thrown down for one yet, but they are popular on candlepowerforums.

12. Jago

Jago It helps if you hit it.

I've seriously been considering buying a Surefire for daily carry. Comp-tac makes these really nice light holders for them and Streamlights.

[​IMG]

Size is the most important thing to me since this is for carry so I'm considering the E1E. I have a knock off LED light the same size and I use it for everything now. I rarely use my Maglite anymore.

[​IMG]

13. 2L Bunny

The Q3's are a bit shorter than the L4's, being only a 1 cell light. Plus they're also not in the same league as far as output and cost. But excellent lights, I've been meaning to pick one up. If you do decide to buy one, there's a guy on Candlepowerforums.com LED_Experimenter that sells Nuwai lights for good prices. I've also dealt with Brightflashlights off ar15.com, very nice guy and gave me a great price on my 870 Surefire fore end.

Also the L4 2 stage mods don't change the length of the light, unless you pick up a since discontinued Aleph tailcap.

14. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I carry an aviator clipped to my pocket everyday, its size doesn't bother me...for however much that helps.

15. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

Aviator for the win. I lost mine in Vegas, somewhere on nasty-ass Paradise, but I carry an E2d now, with an E2e tailcap. The A2 was perfect for me and my job. I'd love to have an L4, but I may just get an LED head for my E2d, effectively making it an E2L.

16. kellyclan

There are 1 and 2 cell versions, they're numbered something like TX-Q3xx or something like that. They're on lots of flashlight websites as well as Ebay.

17. Dubtastic

Dubtastic { OG }

Are you stuck on Surefire? Reason I ask is that Streamlight makes similar models for less money. I was looking at changing from carrying my Streamlight Stinger to a Surefire model and changed my mind after using the Streamlight Scorpion. I just dont like having to change batteries, but that is the nature of the beast and the Scorpion is a great light. I got mine for $70.

18. 2L Bunny

Well, generally speaking, at least on the flashlight forums, a "Q3" means the 1 cell 3 watt light. Also the Q3, and the 2 cell version are 3 watt LED's vs. the L4's 5 watt.