GUN surefire lights?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Dubtastic, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Dubtastic

Dubtastic { OG }

ok, i have been wondering this, especially after seeing the amazingly high prices of these lights compared to any other light:

why are these lights priced so high and are they really better than anything else out there?

i have never used one myself, but i am very curious as to why these are "so much better" than other lights available. really, what is it? are they lighter? do they draw less from the batteries and last longer? more durable?

inquiring minds want to know. :)

2. Furner

Furner New Member

streamlight is another competing brand, and many people prefer streamlight because they have some high-output lights that run on AA batteries, instead of CR123's. Inova makes some sweet-ass lights too. I really love my Surefire G2 tho, its cheap, and Bright Flashlights in AR15.com should still have them for the mid $30's

3. GunShow

GunShow You had best unfuck yourself

Owning a Surefire flashlight is about owning the very best light that money can buy. These lights are not for everybody simply because they have features that not everybody may actually use (shock proof lamp assembly, hard-anodized finshes, etc.) These flashlights particularly the more expensive Special Ops line of lights are designed for people whose lives could depend upon a bright and reliable flashlight, such as military or law enforcement personel. If you don't demand a whole lot from your flashlights then you are most likely better off buying from a different company. All that being said my Surefire M2 has surpassed my expectations and I feel it was a very wise investment.

4. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

[​IMG]

Do I like Surefire? Yup, sure do. Do I have more than what is in the picture? Yup again -- two G2 Nitrolon lights; they are cheap though, a mere ~$30.

What do you get for $30? You get a small light that is at least 4 times as bright as a 2 D cell Mag-Lite.

What do you get for ~$70? You get a metal bodied G2 basically, but it has a different name. Those are equally as bright with a p60 bulb putting out 60 lumens for ~1 hour, or you can get the p61 conversion bulb for an extra $60 and put out a blinding 120 lumens for ~20 minutes. IMHO, that is brighter than a car's high beams.

You can pay over $500 for a rechargable handheld Surefire that puts out, like, 520 lumens. How bright is that? Hell if I know, I'm not paying that much for a hand held.

Up above, you see three of the finest weapons lights. The Surefire M900a for the AR, the 618 for the 870, and the P101 for the Glock. The P101 is getting replaced by the X200, but it isn't out yet; I'll probably upgrade. Prices are kinda outrageous, I must admit. Hell, I have over $1,000 just in lights in that picture. Damn, did I just say that out loud? Yikes, I have never looked at it that way...

Anyhow, are they good lights, hell yes. Are they durable? Beat the hell outta one, find out for yourself. If you do manage to break it -- lifetime warrenty. Are they super bright? You can bet your ass on it. Can you find a better light to mount on a weapon? Not in a million years!

5. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

my M962SU06 is awesome. a friend of mine has one M962SU06, and an M3, and both have served him well. the M962 is particularly good for night/low-light indoor and outdoor shooting. he's done tactical carbine classes where they shoot at night, and with less than the 120 lumen bulb, you're not going to get quite as good a beam nearly as far.

Silver, you need to get the new X200 for your glock!

6. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

if i'm not mistaken, the regular headlights of cars are about ~1200 lumens.

7. Wizard of Poz

Wizard of Poz New Member

8. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

Okay, maybe I was stretching it a hair, but when looking at a distant tree with a 120 lumen light, and lighting it up like daytime, it looks different than a car's light spreading its glow on a roadway...

9. footratfunkface

it's the color and focus of the beam that makes it appear brighter. it's a straight up white light. and a 120 lumen surefire will light the range in the dark out to 200 yards. you won't be able to identify the target past maybe 100 yards, but you'll be able to see it.

10. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

I just got my G2 in the mail last week and I am not impressed at all with it. First off it took me a fucking month to get it. Backorder, whatever. Never got any information that is was on back order and then I finally called and the guy was "printing the shipping papers as we speak" :bsflag: Get the light works fine and everything. Then about 2 days after it arrived, the light burned out. :mad:

Fucking piece of shit.

11. GunShow

Where did you order your light from? I want to make sure I never order from there.

12. Platinum_Thunder

www.surefire.com

13. GunShow

Its not always a birght idea to order directly from the manufacturer. You normally end up paying full retail and often times they are backed up with filling orders to their distributor. Im sorry to hear you are not pleased with your Surefire, but I love mine.

14. Platinum_Thunder

I checked everywhere and that's the going rate.

15. footratfunkface

it is now, since surefire is being a bunch of assholes. they do not give dealers a price break, even for wholesale customers. the dealers end up selling at full MSRP because there is NO room to move in the price. they've also now made it so that their dealers can't sell surefire online, even if they have a storefront. they must sell it either in person, over the phone, or over fax.

16. footratfunkface

this all started jan. 1, '04.

17. Platinum_Thunder

Surefire is :greddy:

18. footratfunkface

i'm all about the L6. i just need $160 to get it.

19. johnson

johnson New Member

I ordered the FBOP version last Thursday.

Is anyone here a member of CPF? If you dont know what it stands for then youre not.

If anyone needs help on where to order SF lights, give me a holla. SureFire has dropped all their internet sales stores so the list of places to buy from (online) is going down FAST. DO NOT BUY THIER LIGHTS AT MSRP.