GUN Surefire A2 Aviator... worth it?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Paintballny, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

Not a weapon but i know you guys have have a thing for good flashlights. So I need a flashlight for preflight checks and in cabin chart reading. The Surefire A2 aviator seems to be the answer for this. Compact, well made, reputable company, apparently bright, and most importantly it has red leds for night reading which is essential for my needs. The only gripe is the $130-140 price tag. As someone pretty new to the high end flashlight scene I am a bit apprehensive. What seperates a surefire from say this light:

http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?DID=19&Product_ID=10943&CATID=169#desc

vs

http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?DID=19&Product_ID=10152&CATID=169

I live with the mentality that you should always buy the best you can afford but that comes with the caveat of not spending money just for a brand name or to show off.

2. airbatt

airbatt New Member

I have one and it's a pretty damn good flashlight. The only gripe I have is the battery cost. If you buy the energizers, they are $15 for 2. You can buy the surefire packs of batteries for $25 and I think you get 20 and they are just energizers without the name.

The light has about an hours worth of high intensity light from the xenon bulb, but the led's last for hours on end.

3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I own one and if I every pay $150 for a flashlight again I hope someone slaps me. I'd go to deal extreme and pick up a few flavors that would suit my needs and spend the remaining $110 on batteries

4. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

Cree + Q5 = win. Most are in the $20-40 range.

5. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

If you have the money that's an excellent light. I find myself using LED for my utility lights, but with the A2 you have the best of both worlds.

When you buy a SF, you're paying for the build quality and materials. Also knowing it has an awesome warranty. Check with Calvin at Brightflashlights and see what his pricing on them are.

6. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

no surefire is worth the money. there are much better out there for much much much cheaper

7. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

link to examples?

8. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Yeah, but I wanted one. If I ever buy any other flashlight other than specifically weapon mounted lights I hope I get bitchslapped.

SureFire G2 - Riding on the AR
    SureFire A2 - riding in admin pouch on armor
    DigiLight 1000XB-LE - riding on the SAIGA
    Nuwai Q3 - out for pocket carry
    Fenix P2DCE - favorite for EDC
    Streamlight TLR-1 - rides on the Operator...

Agree with this too... Check calvin and THR for deals.

9. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

Thanks guys! I sent an e-mail to calvin but I'm not sure who or what THR is. Also what does "EDC" stand for? And what is a "Cree + Q5"? Is 1hr about standard for a light that size? Seems a little on the low side but I guess its about right considering the light output and small size. Sorry for all the questions!

I am not averse to spending the ~150 especially since if I'm in a SHTF situation I want to be damn well sure that I have the best and most reliable tools to give me a leg up on the situation.

For anyone who mentioned there are better alternatives or more cost effective ones could you please link them for me? I am a total noob to this stuff but definitely want to learn more.

10. SLIGHTLY

SLIGHTLY OT Supporter

Every day carry =)

I honestly rather have a flashlight i can toss off a building and pick it up again and use it..

11. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

THR = thehighroad.org
    Cree is a brand for flashlights, and Q5 is a module (one of the best out there IMO.) Most of the lights here have a Q5:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/search.dx/search.cree, q5

This is the light I have and usually recommend. It's a little too big for EDC, but it's ideal for around the house stuff, camping, walking at night, etc.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.9631

And yeah 1 hour of peak brightness is pretty normal. Keep in mind it's still bright after a couple hours, just not quite as blindingly bright. Realistically you get about 4-5 hours of usable light.

12. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

Cree is a LED manufacturer, like Nichia, Lumileds, Osram, Lamina, and a host of companies the general public generally knows nothing about.

Q5 is a specific flux (brightness) bin of a particular LED model - the XLamp XR-E.

XR-E is one of the most efficient high-power LEDs on the market with excellent durability and probably the brightest single-die LED light source readily available on the market.

13. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

cree q5 lights from dealextreme.com

14. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

Being a pilot, and having real world experience, I'll tell you that you don't need a $150 flashlight, unless you're not paying for it.

The flashlight I have used, and has served me well is a Rayovac 3 mode headlamp available from wal-mart for about $15, or here:http://www.amazon.com/Rayovac-SPHLTLED-3-in-1-LED-Head-Lite/dp/B00099YMEM. It takes 3 AAA so it's light in weight, and it's a headlamp for hands free operation. It's got a xenon lamp for the preflight and other bright light needs, a single white led for in-cockpit white light needs, and 2 very bright red leds for night vision preservation. The headlamp is invaluable in the cockpit, as one hand is on the yoke and one on the chart or throttle. If you have to hold a flashlight and fly the airplane, it gets a bit difficult. The headlamp mentioned has the switch mode where it's red led, white led, and xenon, so the first mode is red light, which won't kill your night vision in the cockpit. The red led mode will fully light up the entire cockpit of a C-172 with ease, and everywhere you look there is light. I've done simulated electrical failures at night with no problems. For $15 if you lose it, you won't be devastated. I keep one in my flight bag, and jeep for roadside emergencies. I can't recommend it enough for pilots, unless you needs go beyond what it is capable.

15. Sailor Jerry

Sailor Jerry OT Supporter

I have a SureFire 6P LED and love it, but I know a guy with the A2. He likes it but says the batteries go quick when using the high setting.

16. Thunderbear

You buy a $195 MSRP flashlight, I guarangoddamtee you you are NOT going to throw that bitch off a building. Buy a 6P/LED, and call it a day.

17. cantankerously

cantankerously Active Member

I love surefire stuff. We're dealers so i can get whatever at cost.

18. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

must be nice... care to pass along the good fortune?

19. Thunderbear

PM me cost on the 623FA and M900 por favor. :o

I'm just curious, but if you could get a hookup, that would fucking rule.

20. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Yes. I like the yellow/green LED best for usable light that is cockpit friendly.

Mine has a modified LED ring from a guy on candlepowerforums called the Aviatrix. It allows you to turn on just one LED or all three, or the usual all three plus incandescent.

One of the few things I've spent a lot of money on that I've never regretted spending.

21. Thunderbear

The LED throw is already a little soft for my taste, I can't imagine it with only one of three on.

Would you search on CPF for any problems associated with Fenix P2D-CEs? Mine doesn't cycle through the lower settings anymore for some reason.

22. Skot281??

Skot281?? New Member

I love my 6P LED. I am curious to try out a comparable Cree, however when the chips are down I'll most likely be grabbing my Surefire.

23. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

They are higher power LED's on the mod ring. The YG obviously doesn't compare directly to the white, but the two white on mine are much brighter than the factory three white LEDs.

Fenix has had flaky switches since they first came out. I emailed them about my L1 and L2. They just sent me a little baggy of extra switches to swap as they crap out. :sad2:

24. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

I had an A2. I loved it for work. I lost it in Vegas. Some dirty bum probably picked it up on Paradise.

I have to say, though, it's long. It will self-activate in all but the deepest pockets, especially when sitting.

25. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

Are you using rechargeable CR123 batteries?