GUN supressor gurus, maybe stupid question

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by dpixel8, Apr 17, 2009.

1. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

do you have to get a new barrel too, or have threading done on the barrel? :dunno:

like I realize on an AR you just replace the flash suppressor, but what about on a fluted 10/22 or pistol barrel?

2. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

If there is enough barrel to work with, you can just have it threaded. You will need to know the thread pitch measurements from whatever suppessor you are getting.

I'm not an authority, but I'm going to guess if you have to thread over the the fluting cuts, it won't work very well.

3. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

I don't think the fluting goes all the way to the end....but I can't remember.

are Tactical Innovations any good for suppressors? anyone know?

4. Liptonucf

Liptonucf wee woo wee woo wee woo

well if its on a pistol you would be adding threads to a barrel that would be covered by a slide...not sure about the 10/22 fluting deal.

5. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Depends on how far the flutes extend towards the end of the barrel, and how deep they are.

You basically need enough barrel metal (length, and thickness) to turn down and thread into the pitch of your suppressor (provided it's a screw on deal, QD adapters are another story).

6. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

he could get a nagant revolver?

[Y]vvF4yurWSc0[/Y]

7. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

Going off of your 10/22 comment - I have never seen a 10/22 barrel with flutes up to the muzzle. You can get threaded bull barrels and whatnot from the factory anyway. I recommend Tactical Solutions.

The Tac22s and Tac16s are okay, but at the end of they day, they are bargain suppressors. Is that why they caught your eye?

Honestly, you have to pay the same $200 stamp for any can, which almost guarantees you will have it forever - so why buy something cruddy?

I dunno what you are lookin at but since I think they only make a .22 can and a .223 can, here's my recos :

.22 for a pistol: AAC Element, SWR Spectre
    .22 for a rifle: SilencerCo 22Sparrow, SWR Spectre
    5.56: AAC M42000 (if that's too expensive, AAC M41000)

PS - thread mount suppressors are not as desirable as something with a QD attachment

8. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

that's why you get an extended barrel, ace

9. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Do you have any experience with bolt guns and cans?

If so, do you feel that advancements in QD systems allow for a can/mounting system to have a low enough (and repeatable, perhaps even most of all) POI shift to be effective in a precision role? As opposed to the traditional single-point cut thread method?

I've seen lots of talk in this area, and you are not alone in your opinion. On the other hand, I know some people who's opinion I value in the rifle world who claim that the QD still isn't quite up to par.

10. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

yeah part of it was the price. I am never going to need anything that is insanely great. as long as it works and I can clean it and it has a warranty, fine by me.

11. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

I was too broad in my statement...touche. This is the one area where I suppose thread mounted cans are probably still king. I was more saying for something like what dpixel wants, which I assume is for a semi-auto of some sort, thread mounted cans are not preferable to QDs because of how they can back off and need to be checked for tightness every so often. On a bolt gun with a low volume of fire, it's probably a moot point.

That being said, I do think that AAC 51-tooth mounts are getting very close to thread mounts in terms of being repeatable in their POI shifts.

12. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

I guess...but trust me. Cans are a disease. You'll get one and be like JESUS CHRIST THIS IS AMAZING and then read all you can about them. And you'll see that yours isn't the best. And then you'll want the best one. And then you'll get it.

That being said, if I was buying a mid-priced can, I wouldn't buy anything less than the M4-1000 (new model only, but it's probably hard to find a Mod07). The M4-1000 is basically the M4-2000 Mod07 which is an AWESOME can.

I think I saw you say something about getting an SBR in another thread?

If you did, the M4-1000 or M4-2000 would be a great can for that. I have an M4-2000 for my 10.5" LMT.

Also, it's really only .22 cans that you can take apart. You can't really take apart most centerfire cans. Most of them have FULLY WELDED CORES!!!! for strength. I guess you can take G5s apart though. Not always when you want to be though.

13. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Tac-16s are great cans for the money, well built, good suppression, and TI is a good company.

14. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

TAC16s aren't bad but you can get an M41000 Mod 08 for <$150 more which is going to be the best can for the money, superbly built, with better suppression and AAC is one of the best companies.

The TAC16/22 is what can you get when you just won't ever be able to afford anything else, or you get them on a sick group buy for like $200 (which has happened before).

15. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Oh I was trying to be combative; I have little to no experience with cans and thought that maybe you might, hence the question.

The AAC brake seems to be the cream of he crop amongst the QD options, no doubt. I've noticed a couple guys claiming that AAC's setup is at least very damn close to threaded applications, compared to others.

Just curious, that's all.

16. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

already have a 10.5" SBR, AR. Thinking of canning that and my GSG-5 (and SBRing that too). So im already looking at $400 just in stamps

17. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

Oh, I know, man.

It's admittedly the area of suppressors that I have absolutely no hands-on experience with, just some reading/observation.

Hell, Bob Brown used an AAC Titan QD in The Unit so it must be awesome!

18. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

woah baller, what's the issue then? :d

19. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

don't like spending money and have been a lot lately :hs:

20. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

and not baller :o just anal about money, yet don't want to miss out on some things my old man did before the first ban.

21. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Yeah we do a inexpensive suppressor group buys on a local forum maybe once a year and the prices are great so prices are a lot better than MSRP. AAC makes nice cans but really honestly I can't tell the difference between the TAC16 and the M41k. Both, to me, are about equally as quiet, and you can really only get so quiet with supersonic ammo.

Maybe sometime down the road I may pick up a .223 can but I just don't see it being nearly as practical as a .22LR or 9mm :dunno:

22. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

I don't really know what the best way to suppress a GSG5 is, but I do know that they don't make very good hosts (loud, barky). I've seen people who had the SD front end who milled out the fake can so it could accommodate an OutbackII or similarly-dimensioned can (1"x~5"). That was slick.

If it was me I'd get a Tactical Solutions barrel for my 10/22 and put a Sparrow22 in there.

23. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

lots to think about as usual

24. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

e-peen :dunno:

I will tell you that the .22 can was my first can.

25. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

Could always get a .22 upper for your AR.

And put a ton of LaRue stuff on it.