GUN Supreme Court tells NYC to STFU with its gunmaker suit

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Mar 9, 2009.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Published: March 9, 2009

WASHINGTON — New York City’s nine-year lawsuit accusing gun makers of flooding illicit markets with their firearms came to an end on Monday, when the Supreme Court refused to consider a lower court’s dismissal of the case.

Without comment, the justices decided not to review a ruling by a three-judge panel of the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, which declared last April 30 that federal law protected the manufacturers from such suits.

The appeals court had overturned a decision by Judge Jack B. Weinstein of Federal District Court in Brooklyn, who ruled in 2005 that the suit could proceed despite protests by such gun makers as Beretta U.S.A., Browning Arms, Colt Manufacturing, Glock and Smith & Wesson. The gun companies complained that a federal law passed just two months earlier shielded them from such suits.

The law, formally the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act, banned suits against the firearms industry, except when a plaintiff could prove that gun makers had violated state or federal statutes in their sales and marketing practices.

In its suit, New York City contended that the gun makers had done just that, by failing to monitor firearms retailers closely enough and thus allowing guns to end up in the hands of criminals. Therefore, the city argued, the manufacturers had created a “condition that negatively affects the public health or safety,” and consequently were in violation of New York State’s public-nuisance law.

But the federal appeals court, in the ruling that the Supreme Court declined on Monday to reconsider, said the public-nuisance law did not create an exception to the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act that would allow a suit.

The lawsuit did not seek monetary damages but, rather, an order directing the gun makers to more closely monitor the dealers who sold their wares — too often to criminals, the city contended.

Gun manufacturers have been sued dozens of times by city and state officials across the country, without success. Lawyers for New York City may have been heartened by the fact that one member of the three-judge appeals court panel dissented, arguing that the New York State Court of Appeals, the state’s highest tribunal, should have been asked to decide whether the state public-nuisance law was an exception under the federal law. But that dissent was not enough to persuade the Supreme Court to take a look at the case.

Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg has made gun-trafficking one of his signature issues. In 2006, the city sued 27 gun dealers in Georgia, South Carolina, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio, claiming that their lax screening practices created a public nuisance in New York City. That suit has achieved some victories, with at least two arms dealers being forced out of business.

2. smartypants

smartypants New Member

Thugs rarely carry legitimate brands of guns.
    Glock, Sig etc. are safe.

Shitty companies like Intratec are on the way out though.

3. I nice little bit of bias there. :rolleyes:

4. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I have an Intratec :eek3:

5. smartypants

smartypants New Member

Drop gun?

6. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I got it on the cheap from a guy who was getting divorced and selling all his stuff, I think I paid like $200 for it with a bunch of mags. If it fed reliably it would be a fun little plinker. That and the .25 lorcin(it was free) are my little ghetto collection.

7. smartypants

smartypants New Member

Keep 'em clean and wrap 'em in a sock.
    Just sayin...

8. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

How does this affect the Bloomberg case against specific dealers?

9. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

next time i get in a car accident with someone who doesn't have insurance i think i'll sue whatever brand car they were driving.

it MUST be the manufacturer's fault for allowing people without insurance to drive their cars, right?

right?

:ugh2: fuck that state.

10. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

It is a common gun grabber tactic. The state creates liability or threat of liability for gun manufacturer in said state. Gun manufacturer does not sell to dealers in said state until matter is cleared up. Or so is the intention.

11. Hooligan

Hooligan New Member

12. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

I have an Intratec :o

13. blindarrow

blindarrow New Member

I wanna Intratec.

I need a drop. :mamoru:

14. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

glock 'fotay" is the number one gun used in crimes today, through your statement still stands "legitimate brands of guns are safe" :mamoru:

hk4life!

15. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

bro you know how many people jack bauer has ruthlessly murdered with an HK? he should be in prison and HK out of business :ugh2: