LGBT Support for Marriage Equality at an All-Time High!!! v. The Tides are Turning!!!

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Sam Gamgee, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Sam Gamgee

Sam Gamgee Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right. OT Supporter

Support for same-sex marriage is at an all-time high, according to a recent ABC news poll.

http://www.advocate.com/news_detail_ektid81397.asp

2. philvia

philvia SUCKIN ON MY TITTIES LIKE YOU WANTIN ME CALLIN ME

3. ManyHamsters

ManyHamsters There are necessary pursuits... but poetry, beauty

yaaaay! =D

4. ha as the elderly die off (no offense) they take their ultra conservative views w/ them...
    u can actually see there that the younger generations are more and more ok with it.

5. novo

novo Pokey Man OT Supporter

:rofl:

6. RyRy

RyRy Active Member

But what about the numbers of the GLBT community's opinion? I mean surely not all of them support marriage.

7. Sam Gamgee

Sam Gamgee Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right. OT Supporter

I hope so.

On the flip side, as people age, they become more conservative.
    So, the generation behind these elderly folks will take their place with their own conservative views.

As people age, more and more of them become more dependent on religion because they fear death and want the comfort of an afterlife. So, with that newfound religion comes conservative ideas.

Also, as people age, they become more and more concerned about their money and keeping as much money as they can... and then they become fiscal conservatives and end up voting more conservatively overall.

History has shown us that the younger generations are always liberal and idealistic. And then as they "grow up" and get married and have kids and a mortgage and a job and all the responsibilities of middle-age, they get conservative.

But, hopefully, the idea of marriage equality will continue it's course towards acceptance.

8. wow i didnt think of it like that... well they are some older people (thankfully some are in our government) that are liberal enough to support same sex marriage.
    I think of it this way:
    if certain laws and regulations change now, than kids growing up now will be so used of it, it wont be an issue of conservative or liberal.
    for instance, kids who grew up with racism were liberal if they supported integration. it took a while for everyone to agree that it was just plain wrong... i hope this is how it plays out for us too.

9. TheNonSequitur

TheNonSequitur New Member

I disagree on concepts of evolving morality. Older people don't age and get more racist, or stand against feminism more later in life. As time goes on society will ever improve its morality towards secular and positive values, and so as we age we inevitably progress with society. I would conceed that we may not evolve as fast as society may evolve, but that really doesn't matter. The future is always gonna be better and this is especially true with future generations.

A good example of evolving mentality in a person, but not as fast as society is easily seen in sexuality. In my grandparents time Elvis was too sexual for their grandparents, but not for them. Where everything today is too sexual for them, but not stuff from the 70's.

10. MeanGreen

MeanGreen New Member

Seems to be turning into the new "green" bandwagon, But i'm liking it :x: