COMIC supplementing Warkskrull...

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Stilgar1973, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

I have a thought on this. Not sure how popular my idea will be though. If you guys hate it and tear it apart that is cool. I just want to put it up hear and let it have its day in court.

My idea is:

We could take over a defunct news group on Usenet and use it soley to post .cbr files and the like too.

There would be nothing difficult about doing this. There are like 60,000 groups out on usenet and most of them are unused and empty. We could choose anything we wanted in the hierarchy rec.binaries.*

The big hangup is that usenet is such a pain in the ass to use.
    But there is a way around this.
    I am a big fan of easynews.
    They offer a plan for $10/month for 20 gigs of files a month. They have other plans, I think the highest they have is 150 gigs a month in transfers.
    It would be possible for 2 or 3 people to share an account, but Easynews blocks access if an account has someone signed on and someone tries to sign on from a different ISP (temp block not perm.).

Anyways, what makes it cool is that Easynews has an HTML interface for EVERYTHING. The uploading, the downloading the whole deal. I haven't used a usenet reader in years. You just go to the group you want to download from, right click on the file and select download.
    It couldn't be easier.
    To upload you have to send Easynews an email requesting upload permission (you do this once for the life of the account, all new accounts have uploads turned off and this will turn them on) and then you can upload whatever you want.

In short:
    upside:
    1. We would all share an unlimited amount of server space.
    2. We would have personal accounts so no worries about a single person ruining it for everyone.

downside:
    1. We would all need to figure out how to access usenet on our own. I am suggesting Easynews, but there are plenty of other ways to get to the group.
    2. Files are not permanent. Easynews retention is between 100 days and 6 months (depending on your plan).

2. Mortixer

Mortixer New Member

i already have acess to a reliable newsgroup through my isp so i would be down for this idea

3. Pyrdwein

Pyrdwein New Member

Their are already comic groups on usenet, and retention varies by provider. For me Warskrull or its varients were always a great way to access older comics that I couldn't get in person, and the usenet idea would definately limit that resource.

4. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

I don't deny this.
    In fact, this is one reason I am not all gung-ho on this and am instead approaching it with the attitude, 'what is the general concensous, does the idea suck or not?'.

My big problem with comics on usenet is that I tend to stumble upon groups that have tons and tons of 'golden age' crap on them.

Elephant drive was the first time I signed onto a server like that for comics and generally there was stuff I was willing to read.
    My motivation for the suggestion is kind of selfish, it seems that the people in this group are reading the sorts of things I want to read, if I could somehow get them to habitually put them up on a usenet group - especially a currently defunct group - then even if Warskrull went away there would be somewhere to turn for this stuff.