Superman Returns

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by SS109, Jun 26, 2006.

1. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

Anyone excited about the movie?

Personally I doubt I will see it. And did anyone else think the trailer was trying to link Superman with Christ?

2. GoGophers

GoGophers New Member

I am a huge Superman fan and although I am a bit skeptical about the new one ever since I've heard about it, I'm still excited. I just hope it is not another huge special effects crap movie with no story. We'll see.

Linking to Christ? I don't think so.

3. Kazmont

Kazmont Active Member

I saw that. Talking about where Jor-El was doing his bit of sending his only son to be the saviour for the planet, etc. Dont remember where I saw it.

4. Kazmont

Kazmont Active Member

5. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

gay superman,,,i'll pass, if i want superman i'll watch the old ones again

6. thatguyoverthere

thatguyoverthere New Member

I'm with GoGophers. I'm a big Superman fan, wary about this one, but still excited. I think they were right to keep with the Donner continuity, instead of telling the same old origin story again, and it looks like they're taking the material seriously, which is very good. And yes, Superman is basically a man with Godlike powers, so it seems reasonable to explore this aspect, and I think it's obviously stressed in the preview.

Anyways, I'll be there early on Wednesday for sure, and I might even go on Tuesday night!

7. JaJae

JaJae New Member

I was disappointed in the movie. I was expecting a lot more.

8. Carwatcher

Carwatcher OT Supporter

Last edited: Jun 28, 2006
  9. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

Fkn great movie, Superman is the man.

The scene in the baseball stadium :bowdown:

10. Kazmont

Kazmont Active Member

Absolutly. I dont think it was as good as Batman Begins but it was defintely a good followup to Superman I and II.

And that whole sequence with the baseball field... :bowdown:

11. thatguyoverthere

thatguyoverthere New Member

Okay, here's my take on it.

The Good: They took the material and the characters seriously, and that's good. I liked the little touches for the Superman fans: the re-creation of the holding the car pose, the doctors needle breaking on his skin, and of course, the quotes from the first movie. Chris Reeve's boots are hard to fill, but Routh at least sounded a great deal like Reeve, and that helped a lot. I thought Kate Bosworth was surprisingly good as Lois. The plane sequence was satisfactory. I really loved the opening credits in the retro style!

The Bad: Sometimes the movie seemes to be taking itself too seriously. Not a whole lot of action beyond the plane sequence. I would think a lot of kids would be bored by the rest of the movie, but maybe I'm wrong. Kevin Spacey was only occasionally good as Lex Luthor, and poor Parker Posey as Miss Tesmacher redux was pretty sad. I'm glad she's got such a high profile gig, though. Good for her on that.

The Ugly: Absolutely hated the look of the Daily Planet offices. Perry White and Jimmy Olsen sucked big time. I like Frank Langella, but he was awful. Still hate the colors and texture of the new Superman suit. A few gaping plot holes in the story too.

Overall, I think adults will be surprised by it, because it's a lot more deliberately paced (read: slower) than your usual slam-bang superhero action picture. It has a lot of the maturity that impressed the critics who loved Spiderman 2. It should do well at the box office, and certainly isn't a stain on the legacy of the Superman character, but I didn't think it was Earth shatteringly good.

That said, even though I didn't love it, I'm very glad that most people do!

12. johnny

johnny shit, baby

I'm going to see it in Imax 3D

13. brrrian40

brrrian40 New Member

Saw the movie and here's what I thought:
    Wow! Superman Returns brought excitement and fun to a new level on the big screen. The film brought superior entertainment, even from the opening credits, with the John Williams score and fantastic imagery of Superman’s legendary flight from Krypton to Earth.
    Superman Returns includes the best acting performance of not one, but ALL Superman characters involved. Brandon Routh brought a touch of realism and a relate-ability to Superman and Clark. Kate Bosworth was charming and emotionally touching in her role as Lois. Kevin Spacey was down-right brilliant in his role as Lex Luthor – making it appear that Lex could be a real person! (not one that I would want living in my city).
    The spectacular quality of film and all the graphics involved made it easy on the eyes, which is not true for many "Superhero" movies.
    After 20 years without Superman on the big screen, Bryan Singer pulled off a flawless hit that is sure to be a legendary film mentioned in the ranks of "Star Wars" and "The Lord of the Rings".
    I can’t wait to see it again!

14. armond

armond New Member

will be seeing it this weekend, i expect a decent movie, not the best

15. vcm

vcm Guest

I haven't seen it yet but plan to soon. Brian Singer hasn't let me down yet :o

16. xeon

xeon New Member

I'm gonna wait till I can use a pass on this one.

17. GoGophers

GoGophers New Member

Bryan Singer is very talented. Seems that with whatever he does he takes it very seriously. Personally, I loved Superman Returns, and I definately didn't think it would be as good as it was (though I was hoping). Oh, and imdb shows the squel for Superman Returns in 2009!

18. OneLifeOneLove

OneLifeOneLove If You Ain't Outta Control, You Ain't In Control.

my brother wanted to see this movie.. we stop by a local theater and the line was really long.. ticket sold out.. so we stop by irvine spectrum.. and the line was a mile long.. they have to show it in the imax room.. overall.. is this movie really worth it? we went home instead.. he say he rather watch it on a weekday when its less crowded.

19. richbitch1

richbitch1 Peace OUT!!

man we went to see it last night. I thought it was a great movie, lots of action and great special effects. I'd go see it again. I liked how they had the name smallville for the train set, very cool. Also i thought kevin spacey played lex luthor very well, good choice. They really did well casting the part of superman too- this brandon routh (spelling??) really look alot like christopoher reeves. Really liked the eyeball shot too- veery cool!!

20. richbitch1

richbitch1 Peace OUT!!

i don't know that anyone will ever make any movie that ranks up there with star wars!!!! You can't even compare superman returns to it! I liked thge movie don't get me wrong-But star wars is a classic, i mean come on!!

21. richbitch1

richbitch1 Peace OUT!!

this movie is definately worth the wait in line. I totally dug it and wasn't even too sure about going in the first place, but my man convinced me to go and now I'd like to go see it again!!

22. thaioneon

thaioneon New Member

i really, really liked SR... much more than i thought i would. the effects were pretty amazing. and did brandon routh study christopher reeve or what? the resemblence, mannerisms, speech were uncanny.

23. armond

armond New Member

Watched it, liked it, would see again... Nothing else to say

24. brrrian40

brrrian40 New Member

um, watch the movie - superman returns blows star wars 1-3 out of the water and is at least comparible to the originals! thats right, i said it!
    :bowdown:

25. armond

armond New Member

Well Star Wars Episodes 1-3 are all crap in my opinion. Now Episodes 4-6 cannot be touched as far as I am concerned. :coolugh: