Superhero Backgrounds #2: Green Lantern

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Joe_Cool, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

Now I know this guy used to be white, but now on JL there's a black guy. And He didn't used to be able to do anything to yellow stuff, and now I guess he can. What's up?

Fill me in on Green Lantern.

2. Mr 20Valve

Mr 20Valve OT Supporter

hasn't there been a few Green Lanterns, passing the ring on to the next guy? (i remember there was alien green lanterns as well, -the guy that resembled a tree fern wearing a ring on one of his leaves will always stick out in my mind) :bigthumb:
    theres supposed to be heaps of green Lanterns around the universe protecting people from ugly evil shit...

or something like that...

im sure someone can elaborate. (i was never the biggest Green Lantern fan :hs: )

*and yeah, i was a little surprised when i saw that the current Green Lantern was black too*

3. Mr 20Valve

Mr 20Valve OT Supporter

also, just thinking about it, theres been like 3 or 4 Ghost Riders as well... they inherit the motorbike with the flaming wheels & all of a sudden their head catches fire! :eek3: :cool:

4. pixie

pixie on one wild ride :naughty:

There used to be millions of GL's, they each had an assigned sector of space (Earth is in 2814 I believe :o) & they were not able to affect yellow because of an "impurity in the batteries". Hal Jordan became the Earth Sector GL, when the previous one crashed on Earth & died (he was chosen becuase he had "no fear" ) John Stwert (the black guy) was too young, & Guy Gardener was too far away, but they were also "fearless" & could have been chosen.

During his career as a GL there were occasions when he had to use his back ups. He used GG first & it ended up with GG going nutso, & comotos untill the Crisis waaaay back when. Then when he needed to use anther, John was called forth.

Over the years we have found out that the yellow impurity was a con job by the Oans (the little blue fellows that hand out the rings & jobs) so the GL's would have one weak spot (not counting the 24 hr time limit on the power after reciting the oath). When Hal went nuts :eek3: & kill all the other GL's & took their rings, & destroyed Oa he figured that out.

There was one Oan left, & he fashioned one last ring, which he randomly gave to an human (Kyle Raynor) because so many great GL's came from Earth. Kyle is actually the GL now, but he's out in space so John is filling in on Earth. They used him in the Cartoon because he's black :eek3:

5. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

:bowdown: damn, that's a lot of info!

6. pixie

pixie on one wild ride :naughty:

7. Mr 20Valve

Mr 20Valve OT Supporter

so theres only one (or two) GLs in the universe now?

8. Hiero

Hiero New Member

Kyle Rayner got a god complex a while ago and became someone called the Ion for a while. During this time, he reformed the GL Corps with new members, which include Jade,a previous girlfriend, as well as John Stewart.

9. Acesn8s

Acesn8s The Deadman's Hand

Hal Jordan rocked. He went insane when Capital City (his Metropolis) was destroyed. He went all Darkside of the force and tried to do anything in his power to bring it (and the people) back from the dead. In the process he became on of the most powerful villains in the DC universe.

Kyle is/was an artist before he was given the ring. His vision and creativity, from his artistic background, make him a very effective GL working with the ring.

10. Mr 20Valve

Mr 20Valve OT Supporter

sorta makes me wish i didnt stop reading comic books all those years ago... :hs:

11. Acesn8s

Acesn8s The Deadman's Hand

Me too. :hs:

I stopped reading back when Marvel was turning Wolverine into a Dog. Specifically the part where he licks Scott Summer's face. I put the book down and that was it pretty much it for me.
    I'm sure I messed a few good stories here and there since leaving. Neil Gaiman's latest series (1602?) he started to fund his legal fees sounded really good.

12. Mr 20Valve

Mr 20Valve OT Supporter

:eek:

:ugh2:

13. Mr 20Valve

Mr 20Valve OT Supporter

glad i stopped reading way before that shit... :squint:

(reflecting back, its been about 9 or 10 years since i stopped reading comic books :hs: )