supercharged prelude or older M3??

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Mantis, Jul 10, 2003.

1. Mantis

Mantis Guest

which to get? a 00 prelude with a supercharger or a 96 M3 coupe with just exhaust. i would think these two are comparable in performance, perhaps the prelude being a little faster. i've seen a supercharged prelude run a 13.7 at the track once. i was amazed. i didn't think they were that quick at all. he must have had some serious mods other than the supercharger. anyway, there's a guy in town selling his prelude with the supercharger for $15,000 with 55,000 miles. the only thing is i know this guy beat on this car a lot coz i've seen him drivin around before. the thing with the M3 is it has a lot of miles on it, 135,000 to be exact. but i've always wanted an M3.

2. Omega6_Virus

Omega6_Virus New Member

You would probably have more luck with the Prelude.
    M3's are known for maintainance costs and repairs. I would stay away from one especially with those miles.
    But, these cannot be the only two cars to consider buying. I would opt for looking a little while longer. You never know what you may find. There are a lot of 'cherry' cars out there, but you need to be ready to buy them. Good luck.

3. Mantis

Mantis Guest

yeah but around here it's hard to find a car as quick as these two cars for a good price. i dont' want an american car. i think 15K for a 00 prelude with 55,000 miles is pretty good, considering it has about $10,000 worth of mods done to it. i'm only considering the M3 coz i've always wanted an M3. and the high mileage is the only reason i haven't bought this one yet. if i can find one with less miles for around the same price, i'll probably get it.

4. youngdan

youngdan BWFC

If you dont know the spec of the prelude then you cant really say that it will be a little faster than the M3... It could be a low boost s/charger..
    Personally i'd go with the M3.. you dont know what could be wrong with the prelude.. when you start goin the forced induction way you are bound to run into problems.. If the M3 has only had an exhaust..build on it, a set of cams, a chip, induction kit, and maybe a new manifold etc...

Go with the M3, German car.. Strong engines and comfortable.....bingo :) :bigthumb:

5. Mantis

Mantis Guest

well, the supercharged prelude i saw run 13.7 in the 1/4 mile was only 6 or 7psi. not implying that's what this particular lude runs but you can use it just for comparison. that's certainly quicker than a 97 M3, stock M3 anyways.
    but you're right, there could be something \wrong with the prelude that i don't know about. but then 135,000 miles for a 97 M3 is kinda high don't you think? if i can find another M3 in the area with lower miles for around the same price, you better believe i'll jump right on that.

6. Supercharge preludes won't bring you girls.. Althought he M3 will always bring you girls and good sex! haha..

BMW = Bring More Woman

Get the M3

7. youngdan

youngdan BWFC

Ive kinda changed my mind... i went in a Supercharged Focus with a 75shot of progressive Nitrous.... i loved it hearing that supercharger whine but a big smile on my face :big grin: and im kinda convinced i prefer s/charged cars to turbo'd cars now... its puttin out about 280bhp ...pretty quick if u ask me!!

8. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

9. ish

ish Guest

m3 owns the prelude. not even a comparison, rwd is better anyways

10. sikHybridM3

sikHybridM3 Guest

Really thats a tough choice..., i actually own both cars, and they both are fun to drive and just as fun to race around in..Yeah the M3 with mods and parts cost a prety penny, bt i got lucky with mine my uncle loves M3's and so do I , so he gave me his, all i put into it was ac shcitner pedals , carbon fiber dash kit, Remus exhuast and and alpine deck, when he gave it to me it had the euro EVO engine, and front and rear lips spoilers, its a beauty i love it...but i bought my prelude myself two years of workin, all i have for it is and intake and exhuast, and RH rimmies, its an SH so its quick both cars have superb handling if u ask me....but u have the choice of ethier a m3 or supercharged lude, the prob have the same amount of power, al u gotta ask urself is if u want RWD or FWD?......

11. Mantis

Mantis Guest

i can almost guarantee that this supercharged prelude i'm looking at is faster than the M3 i'm looking at. but then i don't care to be the fastest thing on the road. a stock M3 will do. if this M3 didn't have such high mileage, i'd already be driving it right now. but i've heard some rather shitty stories about M3's (bmw's in general) and their reliability record. being that that they're already expensive to just maintain, how much more for repairs you know? i've been trying to find another comparable M3 but with less miles for around the same price, but every one that i've found so far is out of my budget. :(

12. sikHybridM3

sikHybridM3 Guest

well you have a point.....if you have a budget the m3 is not your car, the service fees and mainetience alone will rob your wallet. mid to late 90 m3s have had fan probs and water pump issues, u can check out a good artivle in the july 2003 or MOTOR TREND , a lil tribute to the M3. But really all car tend to fall apart, my bimmer got 97,000 on the euor engine and still pulling strong, one fact lil known id BMW trannies take beatings with ease, my boss has a 94 525i 5 spd wit 156K and has a 325 is he says he does get on it alot and the trannys are still silky smooth. dont listen to all the smack about bmws , people are deeply jealous cuz thier ricers and chevys dont have the tourqe or power curve that bmws straight sixes have... But getting to the point u should go wit the prelude, its cheaper its fast and it lookes awesome, i dont care for speed no more, I crashed two cars im done, i care about looks and style, and both cars have it, plus think of it this way...$$$$$$$$
    Prelude- two door, great gas mileage, looks good, lower insurance, now a rare breed due ceased production, and hondas main tourer
    BMW M3- more gas, more insurance but all time tourer......... donbt worry about chikcs your has one porpuse to drive, and beat the balls of the geezers in the old stangs and camaros...

13. Raptor13x

Raptor13x Guest

M3 No contest.

BMW = RWD
    Prelude = FWD

That alone makes the difference. Preludes are overweight, oversized, underpowered POS's with horrific handling. The M3 has style, it has class, it handles well, and its pretty fast :)

14. Brigante

Brigante i'm a lurker without an avatar, deal with it

you must be on crack man. although the M3 can easily stomp on a prelude when it comes to handling, the prelude is far from horrific in handling. in fact, the 5th gen type sh was at one point considered the best handling car under $30,000 a couple years back and that includes any RWD car under that price. i'll say it's easily one of the best, if not THE best handling FWD car on the road, even now. get your head out your ass :slap:

anyway, back to the question. i'd probably opt for the M3 myself. like you said you know the guy with the lude beat on his car. with the supercharger, that famous honda reliability was flushed down the toilet. i'll agree the prelude is probably faster than the 96 M3, but not by much. the bmw does have high miles though so maybe that balances it out as far as a reliable car.

15. KERS

KERS OT Supporter

M3 > Boosted Prelude
    however

Cost of fixing m3 >>>>>>> cost of fixing prelude.

16. Raptor13x

Raptor13x Guest

I've driven a later generation one. It was quite simply one of the worst handling cars I've ever been behind the wheel of. Every part of that car seemed to flex, there was no feeling of connection through the steering, body roll was worse than most SUV's, oh my god it was terrible.

Who on earth considered it the best handling car under $30k?? And what drugs were they on when they made that decision?

And the best handling FWD car!?? are you joking? Have you ever heard of the Integra Type-R and the 2nd gen Lotus Elan? They simply destroy the Prelude in anything resembling a handling race. You almost NEVER see a Prelude raced in the SCCA.... and even less of them are competitive.

17. Brigante

Brigante i'm a lurker without an avatar, deal with it

car and driver magazine was the one who considered the prelude type sh the best handling car under $30k. i can get the article if you'd like. and it was either them or road and track magazine that pitted the $27,000 prelude type sh against the high end sports cars like the corvett, viper, 911 etc. and while it didn't outshine all those cars, it held it's own and didnt' finish last. and it's no less than $20,000 less than any car in the comparison and by the way, the only FWD car in the test. i didn't see an integra type r or that lotus in there. i can find that article for you too if you dont' believe me. i don't know what prelude you're talking about. you sure it wasn't a civic you were driving?? :slap:

18. sanchez520

sanchez520 New Member

.... My Free Av! The .............................
    I have an 01 lude and i get some girls.....:hs:

OHh and M3's are ugly and outdated....

I still get people starin at my car and its body has been out since 97....

M3's gets middle-aged women going "Hey, i used to drive one of those"