Super stoopid home theater question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Yep, Feb 6, 2003.

1. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

I just bought a new surround sound reciever and I'm wondering how it connects to my DVD player.

Basically, if the two are connected VIA RCA cables will the 6 channel capability still be there or do I need some sort of patch cord?

2. unrealii

unrealii professor of plant biology

There will be no 6 channel of you are using the rca cables for video, audio left and right. Check to see if your dvd player and reciever support an optical or coaxal audio input.

3. Yep

Ahh, okay yeah the reciever supports coaxial but the DVD player doesn't output it. Is optical better than coaxial for clarity?

4. unrealii

No, I think optical is better. I dont know if the difference can be heard, both are very good.

Edit: I actually meant "YES." I guess I read the question backwards:o

Last edited: Feb 7, 2003
  5. 04

04 Guest

Either coaxial or optical is fine. Both have weaknesses and advantages. For example, optical is better, because there is no way for RF/EMI to be picked up. Coaxial is better in that it can be run longer, because of length limitations with TOSLINK.

6. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Give us your equipment specs...

we can find pics...and point you in teh right direction.

:big grin:

7. poisonfist

poisonfist Guest

Coaxial is the stereophiles choice, optical is better in avoiding interferences but often times people with "golden ears" will regard optical cable signals as "thin" and "tinny" whereas coaxial will have more of a full bodied sound. This only matters in a good setup though, I don't think a "home theater in a box" kind of systems (or sub $1000 systems) have enough clarity for you to detect these anomalies.

8. Yep

Cool. I just double checked and the DVD player has optical and coaxial outputs so I'm in good shape either way. I don't have to go very far with the connection (just 12 inches to the reciever) so I'll probably try the optical thing out.

9. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Before you go spending $80 on a cable from BestBuy or Circuit Shitty, check out http://accessories4less.com
    They have the best prices on optical cable ive seen anywhere, and there service is top notch...i get a tracking number almost as fast as my order is placed, and it gets to my door in 2 days with no problems.

10. unrealii

Keep in mind that if you have to take the reciever or dvd player out to make some changes in connections, 12" may not be enough to give you enough play. For example: I have to unplug my optical cable from my dvd player to pull my reciever out to make any changes. It all depends how you have it set up.

11. Claydus

Claydus Active Member

yeah you'll need the fiber optic cable....... 1 meter should about $20-30 at circuit city

12. Yep

Thanks guys. I picked up a 3ft optic cable off ebay and should be getting it shortly.