A&P super photography newb

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by sm0ke, Mar 31, 2005.

1. sm0ke

sm0ke OT's Stargate expert.

OK. I'm a super newb at photography.

I got a Canon A95 about 2 months ago and I've been just snapping pics left and right using the simple modes.

I know to take some really nice picture i need to learn how to use the manual modes.

My question is this. Where is a good place to go for imormation on choosing what settings to use in what situations? I don't know what ISO or all the other little things do.

2. Nick

Nick Guest

Read the sections in your camera's manual about aperture, shutter speed, ISO, and white balance. Those are probably the most important things for you to worry about. Learn how to set them and what they do. Here's a real quick summary:

Aperture: controls your depth of field. This is how far in front of and behind your focus point that other objects will appear in focus. A lower number means a larger aperture which will open the lens wider, giving you a smaller depth of field.

Shutter speed: controls how long the sensor is exposed to light. This determines whether a moving object will appear frozen, and also how much camera shake you'll see. Faster shutter speed = less camera shake and better freezing of moving objects.

ISO: determines how sensitive the sensor is to light. At a higher ISO the sensor needs less light to achieve the same exposure, allowing you to use a faster shutter speed or smaller aperture. The trade-off to this is that a higher ISO will have more noise. You can leave ISO on auto pretty much all the time and not worry about it.

Aperture, shutter speed, and ISO work together to determine your exposure. A larger aperture lets in more light, allowing you to use a faster shutter speed. You have to determine for a given shot whether you want a large or small depth of field, if you need to freeze the motion of an object, etc. and determine your desired aperture and shutter speed accordingly. For most shots you can pick a priority and let the camera handle the rest. For example, if you want to take a picture of a car going by and you want it to appear still, set the camera to shutter priority mode, choose a fast shutter speed, and let the camera choose the aperture for you. This way you don't have to worry about proper exposure.

White balance is the other setting I would worry about. Your camera has presets for sunny, tungsten, flourescent, etc. Those work fine for most situations. There's also a custom white balance but I'm not sure how to use it on the A95. White balance is important because if it is set improperly you will get a nasty color cast in all your photos.

I hope that answers your question. Read the manual, figure out how to work the camera, then go out and take a bunch of pictures until you get it right.

3. Dogz

Dogz interior crocodile moderator

And post em here :)

4. Nick

Nick Guest

Good catch, I forgot that part. :wavey:

5. Dogz

Dogz interior crocodile moderator

6. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

What is EV Shift? On my camera it goes in increments : 0.0, -0.3, -0.7 like that. (also goes up into the positives as well)

seems to make the picture darker and lighter...

7. SpiderOnTheFloor

SpiderOnTheFloor New Member

i know on my rebels, it is exposure compensation so if you put it at +1 it will meter for one stop above 18% so you basically get a brighter image

8. sm0ke

sm0ke OT's Stargate expert.

thanks! ill spend some time reading. and ill post some pics that i have taken already pretty soon.

9. zennoodle

zennoodle ...hmm must've misplaced my socks

To this day, I always carry the manual for my Canon Pro1 with me cause there's something that I will always forget. I don't use my camera on a daily basis so combined with other activities, some small things always slip my mind. :)