Super Motards?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Lightsped, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Lightsped

Lightsped Glockaholic

Any Super Motard riders here? I am looking into the Yamaha WR250X and the Suzuki DR-Z400SM.

The Yamaha is a bit cheaper, but the Suzuki is a bit stronger. Speed is not an issue here, I have other bikes that satisfy that requirement.

Which is recommended overall? The bike would basically just be used as a around town commuter bike (no highways) with occasional twisty roads on the weekends.

2. Tof-Corey

Tof-Corey OT Supporter

I ride a 2004 KTM 625smc, love it. I think the output of both are very similar. I am sure the WR250x is lighter, and they come with pretty damned narrow tires stock. 110 series in front and a 140 in back I believe. I would take the WR250 over the DRZ especially if youre leaving them stock. If it's not your primary motorcycle it should be a blast for canyon rides. Why are you only looking at those two specific bikes anyway? There are other great motard options.

3. Lightsped

Lightsped Glockaholic

I looked around and want something affordable as this will be my 3rd bike. Kawasaki and Honda don't have a SuperMotard offering. What are my other options?

Yes, this bike will be left stock. It is mostly a way to get back and forth to work. No highway runs on this bike, but an occasional twisty run is predicted.

4. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

I really doubt the WR250X is making anywhere near as much power as the WR250F, which still makes a bit less than a stock DRZ. The weight difference between the two is 15 lbs.

Of those two I would have go with the proven DRZ over the WR which is a completely new design. I'd hope the WR would be reliable, but I wouldn't buy one the first year out.

5. Tof-Corey

Tof-Corey OT Supporter

You could always pick up a plated XR650R(3500ish) and throw on some used 17" wheels+rubber(800ish used) or pick up someone elses project.

I would look into these

KTM LC4 based bikes
    honda xr650l or xr650r converted
    suzuki dr650 converted

6. Lightsped

Lightsped Glockaholic

Well, honestly, I'd rather just buy a factory made SM. I don't have the time to put one together, and like I said earlier, the bike will remain stock. I just want to try something different for a while....

7. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

The DRZ400SM really is a great bike. My roommate has one and smokes supersport bikes in the canyons all the time with it.

The 400 really doesnt give up much power over the 650L or DR650 and weighs 30 pounds less than either of them.

A KTM 690SMC would be a good bike to look at too, a fair bit more expensive than the DRZ400 though.

8. BKhAH

BKhAH OT Supporter

KTM, or Husky

9. Tof-Corey

Tof-Corey OT Supporter

Craigslist?

10. Tof-Corey

Tof-Corey OT Supporter

11. squid

squid braap

Whoa...two totally different things. The WR is based on an MX bike and probably has 1 quart of oil in it (so I'm guessing it has the standard 8-hour oil change intervals), the DRZ is based on an enduro and can go like 2k miles between changes.

The DRZ is a great urban and canyon streetbike but it's going to be way out of its element on the track compared to the MX-derived supermotos like the WR. Rubber frame, smallish brakes and poor power-weight ratio.

The KTM 690 and Husky SM610 are probably better all-around bets IMO, but parts are going to be more of an issue with either and won't have the indestructible reliability of the DRZ. But they'll both have the longer maintenance intervals and streetability of the DRZ but with a more competitive level of performance.

<--supermoto tire

12. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

The WR he is looking at is a completely different engine than what comes on the WR250F and YZ250F.

13. squid

squid braap

What are the maintenance intervals on it, and how much oil does it hold?

I'd still get the KTM or Husky for street use over either of those, a friend has the DRZ and it needs more power for anything more than, say, downtown areas or the tightest canyons.

14. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

I don't know yet. Its a brand new for 08 model. Thats why I tried to get him to shy away from it.

My roommate has a DRZ so I know how they are. Stock they arent anything special, but they do respond to mods very well, but thread starter doesn't want to mod the bike.

I dont know about getting parts out your way, but here getting KTM parts is just as easy as getting, say, Yamaha parts. Not sure if the situation involving Husky parts has gotten any better.

edit: lol was thinking squid was out east for some reason :o

Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  15. squid

squid braap

16. ae86drift

ae86drift (00) × NU.RIOT

or
    [​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

or

[​IMG]
    im not sure if you guys get the XT660X there

17. squid

squid braap

I don't think we get any of those bikes here.

18. PUREVIL

PUREVIL More Money Than Brains Croo

I have 07 DRZ400SM and I love it. Its not big on power, but its reliable as hell. I swapped out a the stock carb for an FCR and it made a big difference, i recommend that mod to any DRZSM owner. I myself have been thinking about getting a Husky 510 or the ducati hypertard as an upgrade, but keep the DRZ as a fuck off bike since replacement parts are cheap.

19. Lightsped

Lightsped Glockaholic

I was gonna say, the Yamaha XT660 isn't available here. Same news with the BMW G650.

Those are too pricey anyways. This would be a 3rd bike, so I am not looking to spend alot. As of now, the DRZ400SM seems to have the best chance for me. I need to go ride one sometime I suppose....

20. squid

squid braap

Check the used section on supermotojunkie.com, there are a ton of nice bikes out there. Just beware of the MX-based racebikes that are plated--they won't last long with regular street use unless you're changing the oil like, every other day.