super-beginner workout - critique please?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by gui3, Jun 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gui3

gui3 all the dude ever wanted was his rug back

gf wants to start going to the gym, she's never worked out before. ever.

she also doesn't want to talk to anyone about a workout bc she's a little embarrassed...and asked me not to.

her goals are to burn off some fat and build a little bit of muscle to help her lose weight. she only has about 10 lbs to lose.

for her first time in a gym, i thought she should start on machines so she can develop some form/muscle with a little more safety.

we have about 1 hour/day to work out., weekends off.

this is what we're doing:

tues & thurs - cardio for an hour
    mon/wed/fri - mild cardio and mild strength training. i'm trying compound, core exercises....so we do the following, all on machines:
    -bench press
    -seated rows
    -lat pulldown
    -leg press/leg extension machines

is this a safe way to start and/or accomplish her goals?

2. Grouch

Grouch Guest

Well she'll need to work on her diet to lose and fat.

That workout is pretty limited. If you can use free weights instead I would do that at least. Plus at in some shoulders, and stiffleged deadlifts.

3. Doronin

Doronin New Member

You really need to vary her routine. If she does that every day she trains, I would be willing to bet she will be bored as hell within 2 weeks. Try throwing some dynamic balance exercises and calisthenics at her. For some reason every woman I have trained in the past REALLY likes doing "fun stuff" and best to stick with what someone enjoys if they have such simple/moderate goals. Everytime I have made a solely weight training based routine for a woman she gets very disinterested very fast unless it is something that seems new every day. If I wasn't in such a hurry right now I would give you some specific ideas but if what I am saying sounds like a good idea to you, I would be happy to elaborate on it more later when I get back.

EDIT- weights aren't the only means to an end when trying to develop muscle tone which is why I am suggesting these other things.

4. gui3

we're doing the diet thing too.

since time/experience is limited i read some stuff here, and had her doing stuff that worked out multiple muscle groups with each exercise...instead of isolating (like bicep curls)

thanks for the advice

5. Doronin

Doronin New Member

Good. If you keep it varied from day to day she should really buy into it after about 3 weeks and stay the course. Good luck.

6. NickStam

NickStam Buy Low, Sell High

needs pics of GF to make proper recommendation

7. B-Unit

B-Unit New Member

go outside and try talking to a girl:noes:

8. gui3

as for varying - what are some things i can do on weight days to vary it up?

right now we're doing the set of core exercises i mentioned, but i'd like to eventually get her to some new things....i just need like, lists of ideas :)

9. armond

armond New Member

For cardio try getting her to play some sports with you, one on one.

Other ideas include
    -jumprope
    -bicycling
    -swimming

For weight days, just vary exercises. Free weights will give the most in terms of variety. And I really suggest squats and deadlift. Throw in some non compound exercises as well, nothing wrong with some isolation. Also pullups are another great compound exercise, they work many musclegroups and are overall one of the better exercises.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.