Sup bros. Broke my leg- recommend me good workouts?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by DomDeLuise, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DomDeLuise

DomDeLuise New Member

Broke my left leg into 3 pieces on Sunday. Having just arrived home I have decided to be constructive with my next 3-5 weeks and try to get more in shape than i was pre-accident. Currently, I am stocked up on protein bars, carbs, vegetables- what else kinda foods do I need? I have no clue about any of this but I am really trying to maximize fat burn (beer belly) while also gaining muscle mass (arms/midsection.) Can you recommend what workouts I should be doing?

Standing on my leg is currently excruciating, so most of my workouts will be from on my back or hanging from bench. Also what equipment should I buy? Dumbbells? I have a resistance band but IMHO its kinda worthless if I cant stand.

Thanks for reading my text wall

------------------------
    edit:
    ------------------------

i think you guys misunderstand. im not going to the gym at all. i am really looking for workouts i can do while stuck in my bedroom. im working out from bed, or from floor.

for example, this is one ive been doing thus far this week (floor)
    [​IMG]

i need more examples of this type of thing, in addition to ideas for what equip i can use while stuck at home. i also need diet advice.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  2. Biggins

Biggins New Member

Talk to your orthopedic surgeon and physical therapist before you hurt yourself more.

3. Juan Valdez

Juan Valdez Finest Cofee in the world

Focus on your diet. Use an online calculator to calculate your maintenance calories (use the sedentary/don't move option since you uh can't) and subtract ~500 from that. That is your new goal for the day.

I am not sure but working out could just make things worse for your leg, clean up your diet while you are laid up and go from there when you are cleared by a doc for more excercise.

4. Lilkhmerkid4u

Lilkhmerkid4u OT Supporter

5. joed1228

joed1228 New Member

Stay out of the gym, eat better and get shit done around the house.

Dont hobble around the gym for 3 hours, do a half assed workout, end up hurting your leg in a way where your out of the gym for any longer then you need to be.

6. DomDeLuise

DomDeLuise New Member

edited first post/

7. reminisce

reminisce OT Supporter

have you been working out? or are you just deciding to get in shape starting now when you have a broken leg?

8. Elfling

Elfling New Member

You shouldn't be trying to lose fat with a broken leg, period. Get a lot of protein, carbs and calcium, and just focus on getting better. You'll fuck yourself over if you try to diet/do too much.

Take it from someone who has been in your situation. :o

9. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

1) As Elf said, you probably don't want to be on any big calorie restrictions with a broken leg. You want to heal as fast and efficiently as possible... A calorie restriction diet will likely hinder this. You need to keep carbs/fat/protein up across the board.
    If you really are dedicated and know your shit, dropping a beer belly can be done in 6-8 weeks AFTER you get better.

You say you don't know anything about fitness and training; I would take this off time to read up as much as you can so when your leg is healed you have a lot of knowledge and a plan of attack.

2) If you plan to do any exercises, get them approved by your PT first. In fact, your PT should be working with you any way.

3) Be careful with protein bars. Sounds like you plan to make that a staple of your diet. Most protein bars are filled to the brim with preservatives, sugar, artificial sweeteners, etc...
    Find a good brand, or even better, make your own. I try to only use protein bars as a meal replacement if I don't have time to eat. Eating them daily is not good IMO.

10. DomDeLuise

DomDeLuise New Member

i work out semi regularly and am not out of shape. i just think that since i wont be drinking during this time that it is a perfect time to lose what belly i have.

11. DomDeLuise

DomDeLuise New Member

my PT was only at the hospital and since i dont plan on working out with that leg, it didnt seem to be an issue. protein bars are not going to be a staple of my diet. i really just got 12 of them so i can eat one every other day post-workout. i will be reading up on dietary ideas as you suggested.

does no one have any ideas for a good exercise for me from home?

12. Elfling

Elfling New Member

I know it seems like hell to think about not working out, but dude- you broke your leg in 3 places and it hurts to stand. Get better first. Then get back in shape. It comes back fast.

13. Mass

Mass Active Member

stiff legged deadlifts

14. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

IB he falls over and dies

15. Thelonius

Thelonius New Member

Box jumps?

16. Elfling

Elfling New Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

17. reminisce

reminisce OT Supporter

seriously

18. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

19. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds

20. DomDeLuise

DomDeLuise New Member

21. RICK RO$$

RICK RO$$ Active Member

christ, take some time and let your body HEAL.

when you can get around on crutches or just a cast or whatever without horrible pain then I'd start going back and trying to do upper body stuff

real talk your leg is going to be fubared for a while but once you're able to do lower body work again it shouldn't take too long to come back

22. Elfling

Elfling New Member

As a timeframe, I broke my left fibula last June- pretty minor break compared to yours.
    Was in a hard cast for 7ish weeks.
    Was in a moon boot for another 5-6. At this point I started going back to the gym and doing some light upper body stuff.
    I ate like a pig, didn't worry about it, gained about 20 pounds and obviously lost a lot of muscle.
    I'd say I was back in pretty much fighting shape 8 months post-injury.
    The break wasn't even the worst part, it's the rehab/scar tissue breakdown that takes a while.
    Yours may take a bit longer. What did you break and where? Are you in a full leg cast or?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.