GUN Sunday range report & RFC

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SkyLeach, Oct 18, 2005.

1. SkyLeach

SkyLeach Guest

I'm a little late in getting this up, but I would like to seek some advice from those who know.

As I mentioned in another thread, I went Sunday afternoon and ran 150 rounds through my carry weapon since it had been 3 1/2 years since I had touched it much less shot anything. The pics are labeled and the obvious problem is that I'm pulling left. It's not much at 7yd but grows very noticeable at greater ranges.

I'm convinced that one of these is my problem, but I could be wrong:
    1.) my hands are too small
    2.) I'm holding the gun wrong.
    Possibly I'm actually pulling left reflexively, but I don't really think so.

Anyhow, here's the pics.

[​IMG]
    On the above, I meant to mention that with the iscoceles I tried shooting with both eyes full open, dominant eye (right) sighting and using "instinct" instead of careful aiming. I found that I shot much better this way. :dunno:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Besides your class you already mentioned have you taken firearms training any where else?

Without watching you shoot I would say you are pushing the trigger to the left rather than pulling it straight back.

You definitely have some trigger control or dominant hang grip issues with your low hits.

What you need is lots of dry fire practice while maintaining a strong front sight focus and concentrating on not disturbing your sight picture through the trigger travel. It’s easy, free and you can do it without needing to go to the range. Just triple check to insure that your pistol is unloaded any time you pick it up to dry fire practice.

Just my .03.

3. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

Yeah, Shay, but he asked advice from "those who know."

4. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

[​IMG]

that might help..

a few more things, that sometimes help if your'e pulling it left..

relax your pinky finger's grip on the pistol.. extend the pinky out forward, so its not being used and see what that does..

Also, are you using your weak hand to help hold the gun, or is it just kind of sitting there not doing anything? Let some of the weight be held by the weak hand, often too much strong hand grip and no weak hand grip will result in left shots.

5. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Oops. My bad. Sorry. Won't happen again.

6. mzmtg

mzmtg New Member

A dry fire exercise I do a lot focuses on trigger rest.

1. Make sure the weapon is empty.

2. Make sure the weapon is empty.

3. Make sure the weapon is empty.

4. Rack the slide and grip the weapon properly.

5. Focus on the front sight and squeeze the trigger.

6. Keep the trigger in the fully rearward position and rack the slide as though the weapon had actually fired.

7. Resume shooting grip.

8. Carefully release the trigger until it resets, no further.

9. Front sight & squeeze again.

10. repeat

I've found this helps my shot-to-shot accuracy greatly. Doing this regularly gets your finger intimately familiar with the trigger rest distance needed to get that second shot off as efficiently as possible.

7. SkyLeach

SkyLeach Guest

That chart is great, thanks. On the weak hand: yeah this was part of my problem for sure. I was reading some shooting guides and I was definitely using the hand to help grip the gun and steady it, but not pulling back against it as nearly all guides recommend.

8. SkyLeach

SkyLeach Guest

Thanks. I had also heard this advice today. Question: does dry firing the weapon risk damage to the action?

9. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

What kind of gun do you own?

10. mzmtg

mzmtg New Member

11. SkyLeach

SkyLeach Guest

sweet

so I can assume that dry-firing my gun will not damage it, or will not damage it any more than firing it regularly?

12. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

Any modern firearm should be apply to handle dry-firing except for rimfires. If you have any doubt just buy a set of snap caps, they're pretty cheap.

13. SkyLeach

SkyLeach Guest

Does anyone sell blanks that cound be used for this type of stuff, or is the whole point to do it without a bang/recoil?

14. mzmtg

mzmtg New Member

Look for "snap caps" in your caliber. Start with eBay.

And you want to practice without the noise and fury so you can get your trigger control down without flinching.

15. SkyLeach

SkyLeach Guest

I tried out some of your advice tonight and was able to eliminate the pulling left. On my first mag I shot a little wild and low on the first 5. After that CF I removed the target, tried the dryfire a dozen or so times and sho-nuff I was getting jumpy as all hell, even knowing the gun was empty.

I guess after 3 years you loose those nerves of steel. :noes:

Anyhow, following that I tried several different grips both in the isosceles and weaver stances until I was hitting what I wanted.

Without fail I shoot far better when I focus on the target and then "draw" my focus down to the front bead to line up the shot. I have about 1.5 seconds between the lineup and the shot where I hit where I want, anything more than that and I waver and hit a little wide of the mark.

Then that crap with my gun not firing and I was done for the evening.

Thanks for the advice.

16. sextech

sextech New Member

Have any of you guys tried using wax bullets to improve your draw and first shot placement. I cut my first shot time in half when i was shooting ipsc every other weekend.