Sun Ultra1 question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ballast, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Ballast

Ballast Cold Heartless Bastard

Okay, i just brought home a sun box (an old ultra1) from school.

I don't want to run solaris at home. so what version of linux should i run? I have mandrake on my laptop, and i dual boot XP with redhat on my desktop...

i was thinking about freeBSD (which i couldn't get to work on my desktop because i have an nvidia chipset).

What are your recommendations?

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

FreeBSD isn't a Linux.

Anywho, I think Mandrake has a Sun version (assuming your machine is Sparc architechture), and if it were me, I would want to remain consistent... I'm not sure which ones (if any) have Sun versions.

3. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

All Ultra's are under the sparc platform. Sun has not come out with a cisc box until now. There are a number of linux sparc ports, which you can find on google. FreeBsd 5.0 supports Sparc 64-bit. I'm not sure if your box is of 64- architecture though...

My recommendation is to try everything if you have the time.

-crontab -l

4. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

if you check out www.linuxiso.org.. You can go through and see the different Ditros and the versions they have..

5. Ballast

well, i know that rehat and mandy have sparc distros. this thread was meant more as a "which version would you recommend"...

I just want to setup the box so i can do my unix programming assignments on it (which i currently do on my laptop using mandrake 9)

I'm actually haven't trouble getting the box to work on its own right now. Small electricall short i have to fix, then I'm up and running!

I also picked up a case for an SGI Indigo today :cool:

6. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I shied away from Red Hat since v6.2 is the very last SPARC version put out by them, although others are working on porting the x86 v7.x version to SPARC.

So I looked into Debian. I didn't know it at the time, but their ISP was getting hammered by the worm last week and I was getting impatient. So I checked out SuSE. From two different mirrors, I wasn't able to get a good disk 1 ISO.

So I tried Mandrake v7.1 SPARC edition on my Ultra10. It installed very smoothly. I've had no problems with it so far...

7. Ballast

thanks for the good advice. SuSE didn't come to mind.....
    but since you've had good luck with Mandrake and i run that on my laptop, it should be a good one to try...

but i think my sun monitor is toast. gonna take it to the lab and test it on an ultra60 to find out.