Sun Enterprise e250 console connection

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Astro, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Anyone have any ideas on establishing a console connection with a Sun e250?

I just got one. I plug the serial adapter into port A and the other end into COM1 on my PC. I set the PC's COM port to 9600/8-N-1. I run my favorite terminal program (Telix = old school). I then boot up the e250 and wait. Nothing happens. Five minutes later is the same as 10 and 15 minutes later = nothing on the PC.

I did witness a connection to this machine. The only difference was: The PC, the CAT5 cable between the two serial connectors (although they are the same), and the external SCSI terminator was removed (and I don't have any more at the moment to see if thats the cause). Thoughts?

Plugging a monitor isn't exacty an option. The e250 does not have a PCI video card installed or a frame buffer card. If I dig, I might be able to dig up a PCI video card, but I'm not sure if it will play well with the Sun gear.

Otherwise, I also got a Sun Ultra10 and I must say that is a very nice machine! Runs Mandrake v7.1 SPARC very nicely!

2. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Hmm, are you using a null-modem cable? Serial cables for modems won't work. There's a way around it by turning flow off via the jumpers I think. You'll find more info on docs or sunsolve.

You got these two boxes for free? I can't even get a sparc5 for free.

-crontab -l

3. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Null modem cable did the trick! Thanks!

The e250, the Ultra10, a Dell/Sony 17" Trinitron, and a full size rack/cabinet with patch panel, fan, shelves, etc: $500 (there was NO way the cabinet was going to fit in my Teg so its still at the office).

I'm still on really good terms with my last company and they acquired a ton of gear from a failed company (actually Microsoft made them a $10mil loan which had to be paid back in full within 6 months and they failed). The shop I used to work at is strictly Microsoft and they don't know what to do with the Sun gear. They have an e450 which they will turn into an email server (their current email server is a lowly x86 right now). Otherwise, they had a lot of Ultra5s and only 4 Ultra10s so I went after one of those. They had something like 6 e250s and some e3000s as well as some other monster size Sun Enterprise servers. They want to unload a lot of them, but not pay shipping...

4. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Nice, my dad used to work for a subsidiary of a company that sold Sun stuff, but we never got any :(

5. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

Is that stuff still for sale?